Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Al Project Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: AL Project Update Reply with quote

Nadia and I will be visiting AL on Thursday (17th March). The aim of this visit would be primarily to meet up with Basarat Kazim (President) and Rabia Khan (Vice President) to discuss the queries/concerns put forward by ADP members in one of the Feb 2005 meetings. Also, since it will be term time I am hoping that we will be able to meet with the students from different schools (currently attending the electronics club) and find out about the level of interest and impact on their personal lives of the electronics club. We will submit our report along with a grant proposal that AL has written for us sometimes next week.
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a camera with you if you can. Thanks.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. Would you be able to send us your feedback (even informally) by Sat, Mar 19? We could then discuss your findings during the ADP meeting this coming Sunday on the 20th and get back to you with any outstanding issues very quickly.

-Tarim
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

Tarim I'll try to send back some informal feedback by Saturday. Also Adnan, I will check with Nadia if she has a digital camera since I left my USP cord in Boston.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasneem no digital camera here.
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: AL project Report Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
Here is the AL project report (see attachments) along with answers to questions posed at the meeting in Feb 2005. I am also up loading the following electronic files provided to me by AL
1) Grant Proposal
2) Electronics Club Curriculum
3) A newspaper article (may have problems uploading it)
Please can we take a vote on this project on Sunday. We have already done two sight visits, exchanged several e-mails and phone calls and obtained answers for most of the questions.
Tasneem
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasneem/Nadia,

Thanks a lot for the AL visit report. It gave more color and frankly helps a lot to have a personal stamp of approval from the two of you. I wanted to clarify a couple of things:

- What is the expected timing of the disbursements? Monthly through 2005 or lump sum?
- Is this a binary, $6k or "no thanks" decision given the part about $3k not being ok?
- Impact: the proposal mentions that they keep detailed records of student performance and have "evidence that it has a positive impact". Can they elaborate on what secifically they track and what kind of evidence is present?

Thanks!
Tarim

ps: Nawai-Waqt article Tasneem mentions in her report is attached.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim,

From the meeting and previous phone calls, here are some answers to your questions. Tasneem feel free to add or disagree.

- What is the expected timing of the disbursements? Monthly through 2005 or lump sum?
I think that AL would appreciate it if the money came to them as a lump sum. Another option given to us is to break the funds into 4 chunks over the year (that would mean a payment every 3 months).

- Is this a binary, $6k or "no thanks" decision given the part about $3k not being ok?
I don't think any NGO is going to say "no thanks" to money. Of course if we decide that we can not provide $6K then $3K is fine with them. Afterall that is $3K less that they have to find funding for.

- Impact: the proposal mentions that they keep detailed records of student performance and have "evidence that it has a positive impact". Can they elaborate on what secifically they track and what kind of evidence is present?
Mrs. Kazim mentioned that they do ask students to provide them with feedback in the form of personal statements. They also are monitoring the progress a student has made in a particular area. In the arts and crafts rooms, they had on display works from students at various levels into their programs. The difference is pretty amazing.

AL is also very open about us asking Mr. Ghaznavis students to come in a develop a methodology to gathering metrics.

I agree with Tasneem that we should put this project to a vote at the upcoming meeting. We do have enough information from AL and have done our due diligence to make sure that they are legit and committed folks. The vote will give us an indication of whether we want to pursue this as a project. In case we can not, then AL can go look for other donors to support the electronics club.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nadia. I agree that we should put this to a vote at this meeting (or I guess on the forums after the meeting) rather than dragging AL along longer.

-Tarim
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadia thank you for answering the questions. One thing that I would like to suggest is if we decide to fund this project but cannot give AL the full amount (6k), we should try to supplement it with electronics equipment. Does anyone know of companies/schools that we can contact abroad or in Pakistan that may be persuaded to donate new or used electronics equipment.
Tasneem
Maham Daher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: AL Report Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'd like to read the AL report that Tasneem and Nadia put together, before our Sunday meeting. I am having trouble viewing it. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Can somebody copy paste it into a forum posting?

Thanks
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not attend the last ADP group meeting but wasn't it decided that there would soon be a vote on this project? Nadia are you planning to set up a poll on the forums? If so you can test the feature in the Test forum. Let me know if you need help or read the FAQ
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will set up the poll for AL voting and send out an e-mail on ADPnet. For the future, we should assign this task to the project champion (in the AL case this is Tasneem) or the sec. It will help us avoid set-ups in the voting and better define responsibility and roles.
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadia, I thought you were the project champion on this, but obviously I had incorrect information. By the way, the poll seems kinda rigged without a "Do not fund" option Smile
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...so we need a better system of indicating who the Project Champion is for each project at hand. Another lesson learnt which will be fixed going forward.

In this case, Tasneem was the PC and Nadia was helping her out as ADP's ambassador on the ground (Cos in reality she is involved with every project Smile and we cant have her be the PC for every project ....hmmm or maybe we can )

...and I agree with Adnan that we should have a "Do not fund" option in there.

Thank you Nadia, yet again, for all the great work you are doing. Someday we will be telling ADP tales and how crucial "Nadia" was in all this Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Approved All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: