Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Member Profiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Sajjad Haider Reply with quote

Sajjad Haider
Lahore, Pakistan as of 1st May 2005
currently working @ State Street Corp.

Did my O and A-levels from Aitchison College, Lahore. Came to the US in 2000....got my Bachelors degree in Managment Information Systems from Iowa State University in May 2004. Been involved with development work since high school. Tried the corporate world....did not work out as planned. Going back to pakistan to do what i like doing most, helping Pakistanis better thier lives.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Justin Stone Reply with quote

Justin Stone
Boston, MA

Managing Director
Design & Co.
www.designandco.net

Born and raised in New York City, I spent my high school years at The Calhoun School - a VERY small, progressive school. In 1991, I fled to the open spaces of Vermont for College. At Bennington College, I majored in International Relations (i.e. Political Science and Social Science) and further developed an interest in public service.

After College, I began a residential contruction and renovation business, primarily developing private homes in Vermont and New York. After moving to Boston in 1998, I began working full-time as a consultant, managing the development of CD-ROM companions to college level text books for publishing companies.

In 2001, I co-founded Design & Co., a small web and graphic design firm specializing in corporate identities and collateral material for small to mid size businesses in diverse industries, including architecture and biopharmaceuticals.

In addition to a general interest in public service and development, I am particularly invested in supporting innovative organizations and projects which have the potential to serve as models for social/economic reform.

I beleive education is, in every society, critical to breaking the cycle of poverty and encouraging creative solutions to seemingly intractable problems.

I also have a rapidly growing interest in micro-finance as a mechanism for reconciling the needs and interests of the fortunate and the poor - perhaps the only truly sustainable model on the radar.

I'm also verbose! Apologies...
Akber Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Member Profile Reply with quote

Name: Akber Merchant
Education: M.Eng, McGill University (2000)
B.Eng, McGill University (1998)

Current: Product Marketing, Semiconductor Industry

Random: Grew up in KHI, came to McGill to do Chemical Engineering in 1995. After finishing the Masters moved to Mass. in 2000 to work as an engineer. Soon realized that engineering is not my cup of tea so decided to try my luck in marketing.
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Abdur-Rahim Syed Reply with quote

Abdur-Rahim Syed
Boston, MA
Economic Consultant

BA, Middlebury College '02
MBA, MIT Sloan '08 (expected)
MPP, Harvard Kennedy '08 (expected)

Early on I wanted to be a ship captain, but around 3rd grade I realized I was hydrophobic. A native Karachiite, I went to the Karachi American School and graduated about four and half hours after Pakistan's first nuclear test.

An economic consultant in Boston for another two weeks, I plan to go back to school this Fall. I'm interested in market-driven solutions to poverty that aren't microfinance (if you know of any, please do tell).
Saima Gowani

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Pakistan, and raised in the Middle East, I moved to the US when I was 8. Grew up in California and still very much a Californian at heart. Majored in Economics and minored in Computer Science from Berkeley - then worked in financial software development for about five years. realized there was more to life than being a prima donna consultant, and went to Pakistan, to work, find my roots, and learn how real paan is made.

Came back to the US with a passion for development issues, specially those around education in Pakistan, South Asia and more recently the Middle East. Presently, finishing my masters in International Education Policy.

In boston for another few weeks before I take off to my next big project - Sri Lanka - to work with orphan children that were impacted by the tsunami. On the way back, might stop in Pakistan and try to work with the education sector reform act (ESRA), but thats still to be determined.

In my free time, I enjoy long walks on the beach...
(oh, this isnt one of THOSE...)

Saima Gowani
saimag@gowani.com
Ali Raza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali Raza
Mankato, MN

BSc. Computer Engineering 2005 - Minnesota State

I grew up at a bunch of places, Islamabad primarily. Went to a number of schools in Islamabad; O'levels (Grammar) A'levels (Beacon House). Do not want to persue a career in computers or electronics. Plan to go back to school for Public Policy or Non-Profit MBA eventually. Want to be practically involved with non-profits working in Pakistan. I'm planning to go back by the end of summer if I can hook up with a bunch of people that really are making an effort to bring about positive change. During my college life I was heavily involved with student senate. Have lobbied at both state level and in DC for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (over 50,000) students. I would love any assistance you guys could provide to hook me up with the right people in Pakistan. I'm planning on being in Pakistan for at least a year or so before I come back for my grad school, but who knows if I like it enough I might just stay there.
M. Saquib Sarfraz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: my cursory profile Reply with quote

M. Saquib Sarfraz
Berlin, Germany

I grew up in Lahore,Pakistan, did my BSc and MSc in Electrical/Computer Engg. in 2000 and 2002,from Lahore and Rawalpindi respectively , Now I am working on my PhD in the field of computer Engineering here in Berlin at TU Belrin. I always had a keen interest in teaching so right after my Masters i joined CIIT,Lahore as a lecturer in EE Department. worked there for like 2 years and then started phD, after i am done in berlin i plan to go back to Lahore and join the faculty again.
Educational reform in pakistan is one of my dreams, and the work of dr. nayeer in this direction perticularly fascinates me. I strongly think that once we have a strong and influential educational system in paksitan at primary and middel level, we could substantially progress in becoming a greater and more useful nation.
Anwer Khan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Introducing Anwer Khan Reply with quote

Anwer Khan
Washington, DC
Electrical Engr.

B.S. Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech., 1998
M.S. Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech., 2000

I grew up in Karachi--did my O's and A's from St. Michaels--been in the US since 1993. Inquisitiveness led me to engineering, but I see myself gravitating towards a non-engineering career: turnaround management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Volunteering All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: