Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Youth Resource Center (yrc) - Installation Of Hand Pumps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamran Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Youth Resource Center (YRC) - Installation of Hand Pumps Reply with quote

Hello everyone

Below are my initial comments and queries on the YRC project

Revised proposal
1. The YRC is registered under the Voluntary Social Welfare Agecies Ordinance, 1961 while the Companies Ordiance, 1984 also has provisions for registration of an NGO but with stricter requirements. Shouldn’t we move on with NGO’s that are used to fulfilling stricter regulatory requirements and are registered under the Companies Ordinance, 1984? This would add to their credibility!
2. It appears from the organization’s back ground that it has diversified objectives but within the five years of its formation, has it developed the capability to fulfill the mission statement, what evidence do we have about its capability as such?
3. Installation of pumps doesn’t seem to fit in the YRC vision / mission statement
4. How come the vice chairman is only a graduate? This might be an evidence of lack of transparency within the organization
5. Currently paid members are 8 while the budget includes salary of 3 personnel to be borne by ADP! Are we funding the project or the organization?
6. Do we have the audit reports for all years of its operation?
7. Currently YRC is implementing only one small scale project funded by UN Women. How does the pump project fit in with this?
8. Funding requested is 999,000 which is above the benchmark 800,000
9. Where is the McRAM report on the basis of which, the project is suggested?
10. What evidence is there that the doubling of the depth would reduce contamination?
11. 13 hand pumps for 3500 households would be under lot of pressure, cause doubts over sufficiency and sustainability!
12. Completion certificates would be issued by volunteer committees formed by YRC, would they be adequate for our pusposes?
13. “There can be delays in the provision of services or information dissemination because of the prevailing Security situation in the area.” What does that mean for the ADP
14. Sustainability seems to be a major concern to me!
15. References might be affected by personal / other friendly relationships, how do we make sure they are independent? WES officer appears to me to be inappropriate and a low designation to take reference from given that once reference has already declined to disclose required information.

I do not have any comments on the annual report since this appears to be unsupported as to it’s accuracy and a lot of information critical for our purposes is missing including the audit report, financial position and performance, budgets, etc

Revised budget
16. Salary of the project manager is too high for such a simple project
17. Social organizer is not necessary and the project manager should deal in such areas
18. Field supervisor appears to be adequately funded!
19. We need to have sealed quotations of boring costs and the hand pump costs! Cement cost appears to be too low…
20. What does mobility support entail? I’ll need a breakup to comment!

This is the first time we might engage with this organization but I recall from the gathering at Cafe9 with Mr. Tarim Waseem that we will only go with organizations that we have already worked with.

Regards
Kamran Ali
(PET Member)
Ali Taufeeq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: YRC Hand Pump Installation Project - Initial Comments Reply with quote

Background Information on the NGO
- Can the NGO provide us with a brief CV/background of each officer on the board of the NGO and the key management personnel not listed in the Project Proposal Form
- Apart from the UNICEF School Project, is there any other project undertaken by YRC where the installation of hand pumps was involved?
- Please advise who are the paid staff members? Do they included members of the Board?

Critical Need
- Are hand pumps the only source of clean drinking water in UC Akbar Pura, or are there other sources of drinking water (tankers, wells, etc.?)
- How far do the residents of UC AKbar Pura need to venture to find clean drinking water?
- How are the residents coping without clean drinking water today?
- Is the NGO confident that there will be sufficient water at 120-130 feet depth?

Social Return
- Will 13 hand pumps be sufficient to serve 3425 households? Thats approx. 260 households per hand pump. There must be other sources of clean drinking water, as each hand pump cannot serve 260 households or 1,300 individuals
- What is the average life of a hand pump? i.e. how long does it typically last till it needs repair
- How long does it take for the water to dry up and the hand pump therefore becoming redundant?
- Have other hand pumps been installed in UC Akbar Pura at a depth of 120-130 feet and what is the water quality like?

Measurability
- One way to measure the success of the project will be to determine the number of cases of water-borne diseases in UC Akbar Pura this year, and the number of cases of such diseases after the installation of the hand pumps. The data could be gathered from a local hospital/clinic
- Will the water acquired from the new hand pumps be clean and suitable for drinking?
- How will YRC work with the PCRWR? Has YRC worked with PCRWR in the past? How actively will PCRWR be involved in this project?

Sustainability
- I agree with Kamran: Sustainability seems to be the key issue here.
- How will YRC ensure the maintainence and up-keep of the hand pumps is met? We really need a concrete answer, rather than a generic answer such as "community involvement". I understand they plan to install the pumps near masjids, schools, hospitals etc. Will YRC appoint someone from these places, train them on how to maintain the pump and ensure fair usage?
- Who will monitor the water quality on an on-going basis?
- Will the handpumps be installed on public or private land? Do we need to have a certificate confirming the land is government owned?
- Who will form the team of volunteers for the implementation of the project?

Scalability
- If we are satisfied with our due diligence, then it may be wise to provide funding for one or two hand pumps initially and monitor the progress, before providing funds for the remaining hand pumps.

General Comments
- How can we be sure the water at 120-130 feet is fit for drinking and general use?
- Can YRC forward us a copy of the McRAM report?
- Will YRC test the water with a credible authority to ensure it is safe to drink? If yes, then please advise what the cost will be for testing the water quality.
- What type of pump will be used? Will YRC be using an Afridev hand pump?
- See below case study from Water and Sanitiation Programme South Asia on the use of Afridev pumps in Pakistan. Useful reading.

http://www.watersanitationhygiene.org/References/EH_KEY_REFERENCES/WATER/Handpumps/Handpump%20Specific%20Types/Afridev%20Handpumps%20in%20Pakistan%20(World%20Bank).pdf

Kamran Ali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few words to share on the UNAUDITED accounts of the YRC

1. YRC has mentioned on the second page of the revised proposal that they get their accounts 'audited by the competent and qualified auditor' however they hired A Salam Jan & Co in 2010 for compilation of the financial statements. I wish to mention here that COMPILATION IS NOT AN AUDIT and involves consolidation of financial records provided by the management to prepare financial statements as per the accepted principles and standards. It does not involve testing accuracy of the underlying financial records or whether, most importantly, the expenditure incurred was for the purposes of the organization.

2. An analysis of the accounts reveals that 20% of the aid for gender protection project was spent on Media Master, 63% of the aid for IDP emergency response was non-UNHCR staff cost, 95% of the aid for girls primary education was spent on the social mobilization team, 80% of the aid for IDP Education emergency was paid for staff salaries and monitoring while 50% of the aid for telephone services in flood affected area was spent on staff salaries! If the staff includes the 8 paid members of the organization then one can easily find out how much is going to them. Furthermore, it seems that very little of the aid was directly spend on the beneficiaries of the aid.

3. The accounts also reveal that YRC has not even the remotest involvement with a similar project as the this handpump project over the last one year atleast!
Kamran Ali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few words to share on the UNAUDITED accounts of the YRC

1. YRC has mentioned on the second page of the revised proposal that they get their accounts 'audited by the competent and qualified auditor' however they hired A Salam Jan & Co in 2010 for compilation of the financial statements. I wish to mention here that COMPILATION IS NOT AN AUDIT and involves consolidation of financial records provided by the management to prepare financial statements as per the accepted principles and standards. It does not involve testing accuracy of the underlying financial records or whether, most importantly, the expenditure incurred was for the purposes of the organization.

2. An analysis of the accounts reveals that 20% of the aid for gender protection project was spent on Media Master, 63% of the aid for IDP emergency response was non-UNHCR staff cost, 95% of the aid for girls primary education was spent on the social mobilization team, 80% of the aid for IDP Education emergency was paid for staff salaries and monitoring while 50% of the aid for telephone services in flood affected area was spent on staff salaries! If the staff includes the 8 paid members of the organization then one can easily find out how much is going to them. Furthermore, it seems that very little of the aid was directly spend on the beneficiaries of the aid.

3. The accounts also reveal that YRC has not even the remotest involvement with a similar project as the this handpump project over the last one year atleast!
Ali Taufeeq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Mehreen, Waleed and I joined the call today. Here is a summary of what we discussed and the next steps required:

1. References: 2 out of 3 references replied back by email stating that they were satisfied with the work YRC had done in their projects. However, in order to dig a bit deeper and ensure that we aren't missing any detail, it was suggested that we put in a call to the 3 references and conduct a short interview. YRC have also provided the contact details for the girl's school where the first hand pump project was implemented. We should also put in a call to the head teacher and make sure that she is happy with the installation of the hand pumps at the depth of 120-130ft + YRC's overall conduct in the process.

2. Water Quality Testing: It is important that YRC conduct a test of the water in the area before we sanction the project. They can conduct the test on water from another hand pump which is installed in the area at a depth of 120-130ft. The cost of testing a sample by PCRWR is Rs 5000, which can be added to the detailed budget provided by YRC. ADP will reimburse YRC is the water is actually deemed fit to drink by PCRWR or a credible authority (although I would prefer to stick with PCRWR). See attached the rate list for commercial organizations/NGOs I found on the PCRWR website: http://www.pcrwr.gov.pk Also see attached a report done by PCRWR in 2010 which states that less than 5% of the water tested in the rural areas of KP province was fit for drinking. This provides another reason for us to request the water test before we sanction the project.

3. Depth of the hand pumps: This is still an issue which is unresolved. Although YRC have provided a few answers to help us understand the depth issue, we would like to have this verified by a third party. Waleed stated that he could ask a "tube well expert" he knows in Pakistan, and Mehreen stated that she can talk to Mr Humayun on this subject again and see if he can provide any further information.

4. Maintenance of the hand pumps: This will need to be discussed during a site visit by the volunteer. He/she will need to ask questions from prospective Water User Committee members, if they are willing to assist if there is a problem, if they have had any training/will be provided training, etc.

5. Financials/Accounts: I will look into the financials and the accounts. I also noticed that Kamran had posted a few concerns on the ADP Forum. We should really give YRC a call and drill down on this subject.

6. Revised budget: We should send YRC a template of the budget used in the NEEDS project, so that they can provide greater detail to us on the cost of the hand pump components, etc.

I'm open to suggestions on how we divide these tasks amongst the team.

Regards,
Ali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Under Review All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: