Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

De Lass Gul Charsadda Housing Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shammi Shawkat Quddus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: De Lass Gul Charsadda Housing Project Reply with quote

From Saba Gul:

Hey guys,

Sorry to hear some of you had trouble dialing in.

Below I'm identifying the key diligence areas that are either of concern or need further info/analysis/discussion. This includes discussions between Rameez, myself, Arifa and Shammi.

I'd like to divide up these 5 items amongst the PT. I've suggested names next to the items according to who I think might be most suitable (for example, Laraib is in Pakistan and can handle areas that might require a site visit). Please let me know if you are assigned an area but do not feel comfortable tackling it.

(Shammi, I suggest you initiate email contact with the NGO's main contact in addition to Laraib, since most of these require asking the NGO questions. Rameez, do you think it's okay for 2 ADPers to contact the NGO?).
NGO's Credibility [SABA]
NGO has past experience in that geography but it's unclear that they have construction experience. Did they build or at least oversee the building of the learning centers they run in the area? Other info on this?
Feasibility of Labor and Materials [SHAMMI]
Who is the supplier of the construction materials? Preferably an independent third party. Where is the labor coming from? Preferably sourced from community.
Sustainability of Project [SHAMMI]
Will the houses be owned by the NGO or the community? Who will be responsible for the upkeep? Who owns the land?
This area is prone to floods and more in the same location are expected - is building the same kind of houses in the same area again wise? Any checks in place for the houses being more flood-resistant than previous ones?
Selection of Beneficiaries [LARAIB]
How is the NGO selecting its beneficiaries to ensure they are the most deserving? How is critical need determined?
This is a tiny project - only 12 houses (of which 6 are funded by ADP). Will this lead to communal tensions between those who benefit from it and those who do not?
Cost of Project [LARAIB]
Need more itemized details on per house construction cost including breakdown of materials cost vs. labor cost
NGO's proposed budget is exactly aligned with what ADP funds - seems slightly suspicious. Need to independently verify the costs.

ACTION ITEMS:
[IMMEDIATELY] SHAMMI, please create a topic for this project on the the ADP forums here: http://forums.developpakistan.org/
[ONGOING] Everyone should read the above, and share thoughts on the due diligence areas, preferably on the forum but over email is fine too.
[BY 22/12] Everyone send in the results of their due diligence areas to the team.
[26/12] Next call. Team will identify key site visit questions in this call and fill out Pre-SiteVisit questionnaire.

Please share any thoughts. EC, please let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks. Here's to a solid start!

Saba

From Arifa Khandwalla:

Hello Everyone,

I have a few additions to the comprehensive list below.

1. Costing:

I suggest talking to other relief groups who are doing similar things. One is the Karachi Relief Trust. They are building houses for flood affectees and they have their own architects on board who developed several plans for homes. They purchased materials and gave them to the beneficiary who built the house his-self. Please talk to them and verify their approach and also ask them about costs as well. They have a website.

http://www.karachirelief.org/giveahome.php

There are also other organizations doing the same thing. I really think doing a cost comparison of house building is the way to go. Ideally, I like to see a table with different organizations and costs to see how feasible the costing done by this NGO is. Other potential organizations are pakistan rising, Aitemaad trust, Indus Resource Center that come to mind and I am sure many others.

2. The actual building process:

This is a good organization and ADP can learn from the experiences of Karachi Relief Trust. Their approach brings about the question of how will this NGO build homes as in are there any plans or architects involved? What materials are appropriate for the area? How well have they thought through the project ?

Best Arifa
Shammi Shawkat Quddus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Sustainability, Legal and Construction Questions Reply with quote

Hello Sadia,

My name is Shammi Quddus and I am a part of the 5 member ADP team that is evaluating your application for the funding of housing of flood affected widows. First of all I would like to say this is a great initiative that DLG has taken and we read your application with great interest. In light of that, I am evaluating the sustainability, implementation and certain legal aspects of this projects. I have certain questions for DLG, that should be answered by the appropriate experts in your organization:

Sustainability:

- Design and location of houses:
Is this location in a flood prone area? Can you give us some basic scientific data regarding how often it has flooded, how high etc, (data often available at research or university istitutions)?
How are indigenous houses generally designed in the area?
What are common precauations taken against flooding currently?
How is DLG's design of the new houses going to ensure that flood protection is better than before and the same scenario is not repeated in 2-3 years when the next flood hits?

In regards to the last question: we would like to some research on your part regarding
what are other organizations in the area and/or wider Pakistan, doing in terms of post flood housing development and what is your cost effectiveness compared to them? We want to see a spreadsheet comparing values.
do you have some degree of expert architectural and engineering opinions while considering the construction of these houses? For example: what is the largest flood that happened in say 10-15 years, how high did the waters rise, are your constructed houses going to be high enough to overcome that? What architectural designs can be made to make the houses more resilient?
Construction

Who will be your contractors for the construction of the houses?
Where will the raw materials and labor for the construction come from?
How will you ensure to us that there will be no partisanship in the process, i.e. that you will not favor one contractor over another?
Can you please tell us how you chose your contractors in previous construction projects such as the school and learning center?

Legal

Who currently owns the land that the houses have been built on?
Will the houses be a donation to the women or are they taking out a loan to pay back for it?
If it is a donation, will the house be legally handed over to the women or will it be owned by DLG?
If the women are going to pay for it, please give us details of the financing and terms and conditions of how and when it will be legally handed over to them.
Does DLG have sufficient ability to handle the legal handover to the women in a transparent way according to the laws of Pakistan? If you work with set lawyers that you have worked with before, say in the construction of your schools and plan to use them for this project, we would like to know the details and hear their opinion on the legal procedure.

I understand this is a lot of questions, which will require some research. So let me know when you think you can get back to us. Once you have answers to most of them, I would prefer to set up a phone call, either with you or whoever you feel is appropriate at your organization, at a time that is mutually convenient. If you any question regarding any of the points above, please don't hesitate to email back asking for clarifications.

Look forward to working with you,

Sincerely,
Shammi. S. Quddus
AECOM Environment
2 Technology Park Drive, Westford, MA
D.978.589.3416 M.917.669.6459
Arifa Khandwalla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Files attached Reply with quote

I have added the following 2 attachments

1. Exchange with the NGO
2. Spreadsheet of construction cost comparisons with other NGOs doing rebuilding work.

Shammi Shawkat Quddus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Followup questions:Cost breakdown and technical consultation Reply with quote

Dear Sadia,

I hope you are doing well. Greetings from ADP. We wanted to give you an update of the review process and follow up with some questions. Overall, there are several stages before we can reach a final decision and I hope DLG and ADP can collaboratively work through it.

It seems DLG has great experience in education and skills development of youth and women but we found you have little expertise in flood reconstruction. Also comparison with other NGOs who are doing similar work in the area shows that your cost/sq.ft is about 2x higher. In addition, this is a technical undertaking that requires consultation from engineer/architect/flood housing expert to ensure that the design of these houses are sustainable. We would like to see that DLG is taking this project seriously with a long term view for both the women and yourselves in terms of increasing your skill for dealing with flood rehabilitation. As such we want to see the following issues addressed:

Cost
- A detailed breakdown of the budget that should contain raw materials, skilled/unskilled labor, transportation cost and notes if some materials have higher than normal cost (e.g. transportation, lack of availability, out of stock etc).
- A day by day outline of how you anticipate the construction process taking place (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 so on and so forth).

Technical Consultation
- We would like to know who is the direct point of contact from DLG that will deal with this project. Preferably we would want this person to be our contact person as well. Is someone directly in charge? Has a team been formed for this project?
- Consultation from local architect to draw floor plans. Consultation from local flood housing experts to review plans (e.g. UNHABITAT office, other engineers who are working on this issue).
- Cost of technical consultation can be included in the budget as appropriate (but should include name and details of qualification, and how his/her services are being used).

Overall
- Given the level of information we have from DLG, it seems that the details of the projects have not yet been hammered out. Our concern is that we need to see more investment on the part of a partner organization - that they don't see the project as a one time, short term undertaking, but are willing to invest time and effort to make it as sustainable as possible while at the same time building their own capacity to do more projects in this area. That is why we are asking for details of team members and your contacts with relevant experts in flood reconstruction.

I am attaching a report from Karachi Relief Trust's flood reconstruction work that has examples of what we refer to as architectural floor plans (pg 16,17,1Cool. It could also be a source for potential contacts for experts.

As always, do not hesitate to contact back for clarifications. We can also discuss over a phone call if that is easier. DLG might recieve more emails from other members of the team who are in charge of reviewing other aspects of the application.

Sincerely,
Shammi. S. Quddus
AECOM Environment
2 Technology Park Drive, Westford, MA
D.978.589.3416 M.917.669.6459
Shammi Shawkat Quddus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply to Technical Queries: Reply with quote

Contains detailed budget, names of architects and simple floorplan.
Shammi Shawkat Quddus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Beneficiary Details Reply with quote

List of widowed beneficiaries and family chosen for housing project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Under Review All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: