Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Sustainable Livelihood Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar,

I agree with your reasoning - yes, they have answered most of our questions. In theory, I think this will work (I wouldn't be willing to commit even $5k if I didn't believe so), but a major part of any project's success is solid execution. The fact remains that EHD has not done this kind of project before, and we have no previous experience with their project mgmt and monitoring skills. I have a lower risk threshold with EQ funds since, unlike our general fund, most donors were not thinking they would give us money to innovate or experiment.

The one fact that makes me feel better even if we gave $18k is that we're investing in real "assets". Even if the program fails, the widows can sell the animals at market value, in which case, we we will have handed out charity. That's not a horrible worst case scenario.

Khurram, let's put this up for vote as soon as you have the answers to options on program size, location and funding deadline.

Thanks!
Tarim

ps: Btw, no reason it has to be either 5 or 20 families. It could be anything in between if there's a threshold at which EHD feels good about moving forward.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

I have emailed Shameelah in the hopes of setting up a conference call with herself and Raja Faisal, the head of EHD.

I will keep you all posted.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Why are we doing 20 families and not 5? [/b]EHD felt very strongly about this point; they believe that starting out with 5 families would diminish economies of scale significantly. Furthermore, EHD informed ADP that EHD did have some prior experience with projects such as this one. Although data from earlier efforts is spotty, the fact that the project is currently ongoing (with 50% of the female goats being pregnant, and 50% giving milk,) seems to suggest that EHD is not in over their heads. Also, in terms of where to start, EHD has already made a pledge to the widows at Nar that they will be the first to receive funding through a livelihood project. Therefore EHD is interested in funding Nar first and foremost.

As far as the state of the widows go, EHD further elaborated that the widows had multiple kids under the working age, and had no relatives that could help them support their family. Hence, the widows and their families really have nobody to turn to.

[b]When is the absolute deadline to get EHD funds to be able to get the livestock to the families before snowfall? [/b]
Alas, my busy schedule has meant that we have been unable to get the funds to EHD in time. I think we should still try to get the project funded (if it passes,) asap so that we can leave it up to EHD to get the project moving as soon as they get a chance.

[b]How difficult would it be for these families to access the market (and earn a living)? [/b]
EHD made it extremely clear that the people partaking in the project would have no problems getting to and from the market, nor were there any limitations in terms of the market size.
[b]
Sale of goat kids provides the largest share of revenues to each family, but this revenue won't be realized for another six or seven months. So how would immedate funding and implementation help families in Nar? [/b]
An aspect of the project which was not duly highlighted by EHD earlier is the fact that the goats would also bear milk, and therefore would provide sustenance to the family throughout the year. Personally, I think this is a very important fact, because milk is used in the north as the 'curry' to a handful of dishes (so states Raja Sahib,) not to mention that it can be drank on its own.

[b]3 goats reduces the income to each family to Rs. 2100 per month. Let's base the decision of 3 or 5 on whatever is enough to make a widow and her family self-sufficient. [/b]

[b]As Project Champion, I would definitely recommend funding this project with the following caveats:[/b]

1) EHD provide ADP with detailed family size information; when asked how big each family out of the 20 was, EHD responded with between 2 - 10. I don't think there is any point in giving 3 or 5 goats to each family, especially if some are much smaller than others. I think we should aim at giving an average of 3 goats per family, but allocate as many as five goats for the bigger families.

2) EHD provide ADP with detailed statistics after 6 months and then again after a year. Specifically, what ADP would be interested in is:
(i) The mortality rate of the animals
(ii) The income generated (with a breakdown as to exactly how much each type of item sold for,)
(iii) Number of vaccines given to the cattle
(iv) Number of vet visits over a period of six months
(v) The number of kids (baby goats,) that were resdistributed by EHD.
(vi) Number of baby chickens and kids born (total as well as average) per family.

These figures would help us accurately estimate the project costs when it is scaled up. Please mention any other metrics that you think might be important.

3) EHD provide training to the families in animal care. Omar has directed EHD towards a vet care training project not too far from Islamabad.

With all that said, I think we are going to have as much information as possible to vote on this project. Unless anyone feels there are still some glaring questions that remain to be answered.

Newbudget(livelihoodproject).doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Newbudget(livelihoodproject).doc
 Filesize:  32.5 KB
 Downloaded:  718 Time(s)

Livelihood Project Guidelines.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Livelihood Project Guidelines.doc
 Filesize:  48 KB
 Downloaded:  1124 Time(s)

Anwer Khan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khurram:

Any updates on this project? Are we waiting for additional clarification from EHD? If ADP is interested in funding this project, then we must act soon to allow EHD to implement this by spring.

Anwer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: