Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

New York Team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: New York team Reply with quote

This thread is for all ADP members in the New York area who would like connect and discuss possible relief strategies.
Omer Masud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Brainstorming Session Reply with quote

Please join us for our Brainstorming sessions for the Earthquake Relief
efforts

On Wednesday at 9 pm in Room 501 - 5th Floor Lerner Hall
Columbia University

For non columbia students please rsvp with a contact phone number so that a board member can sign you into the building.

Here we will discuss and organize our fundraising efforts.

Any questions concerns, please email us at ops@columbia.edu

We hope to see you on Wednesday,
OPS Board
Ali Syed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Local Volunteers Needed Reply with quote

Email from Essam of PakPrideLive.com. These guys are actively involved in relief efforts in terms of transporting goods to the earthquake victims. If you're interested in volunteering from your local area, please contact Essam Choudhary directly as to how you can help.

Essam Choudhary
780 975 3443
www.pakpridelive.com

=======================================
ASalam Alikum ,

Please forward this to those who may be interested.

Pak Relief needs volunteers in NYC, TOronto, Chicago, Edmonton, Vancouver, and any other city where People would like to send CLOTHES mainly BLANKETS(thick) and sleeping bags to Pakistan. We need volunteers to help with the collection, packaging and taking supplies to the drop zones. Please email myself ASAP with your name number and location if you would like to help. To webmasters, and leaders of organizations please tell your members about this and have them contact me asap.

We have so far assigned two managers to handle their regions, we may need more.

USA (NYC) Mrs. Samina Ahmad

CANADA (Toronto) Mr. Azam Farooqui

p.s. We have a team of doctors ready to roll. They recently set up field hospitals in the Gulf Coast for the Katrina relief. We're working hard to get them all their surgical supplies back and have them ready with their needed medical equipment, however we also need funding to fly them to Pakistan. Currently PIA, and the government of Pakistan are working on logistics for that, if you know of a business that could finance this trip, please contact me ASAP.

Essam Choudhary
780 975 3443
www.pakpridelive.com
Amyn Moolji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Omer posted, Columbia is having a brainstorming session tonight. I had also spoken with the PSA at NYU. They were interested in organizing a concert/comedy show type event to raise money. I know the pakistani students at MIT have organized a Junoon concert in the past and managed to raise significant amount of money, so hopefully we can work with them to arrange something like that in both cities. Ofcourse that is more of a longer term thing.
For immediate purposes I know a lot of us have been sending around emails to inform people and direct them towards websites for donations. I know many different organizations have been suggested, but I would encourage identifying those where people can easily get the tax breaks - might encourage them to donate more.

Also what do you people think about holding a raffle at NYU and Columbia? I was thinking dinner for twos, cruise around the city, perhaps broadway tickets. If there is interest, we can start talking to restaurants and the like.
Any other ideas?
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amyn,

Donations at the ADP web site at www.DevelopPakistan.org are tax-deductible. I think Hidaya and the other international orgs are all in the same boat.

Tarim
Amyn Moolji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I realize. I just thought it was worth emphasizing that vs those that are not, specially when approaching organizations
Amyn Moolji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omer and I were thinking of working with NYU and Columbia PSAs and anybody else willing to join here in new york to hold fundraising events, like raffles/auctions, dinners etc. We were hoping to get contributions from restaurants/organizations but the thinking is that they might need an official channel with tax breaks, documentation etc, specially if they contribute in a significant way.

We were wondering if it is possible to do this through ADP, where ADP could commit to split the proceeds with organizations like FOCUS/AKDN (30-40%), retain a portion for its Long Term Relief/Redevelopment effort (40-50%), and contribute the rest at its discretion to organizations/individual efforts (like TVOne etc) which are requesting immediate assistance and which would not have access to funding from other places.

Looking forward to your feedback and suggestions.
Akber Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea. Any particular reason for splitting the proceeds in the way suggested?
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amyn and Omer,

I think youíre definitely heading in the right direction. And, some of us were already thinking of AKDN as one of the groups we would likely partner with in the redevelopment effort.

Still, I donít think we have the ability to make an informed decision about how to distribute the Long-Term Funding yet. I think this will need to happen when the relief effort is under control, the scope of the disaster is better understood, and it is clear how organizations (large and small) will be responding to meet the long-term needs of the survivors.

One of the greatest strengths ADP brings to development work is the rigorous analytical process we put every NGO and project through, prior to funding. While we will need to move quickly with the redevelopment efforts, we will also want to apply a lot of critical thinking to the decisions.

While members, led by Mahjabeen, are looking into the tax implications of soliciting funds outside Massachusetts, let's talk about approach. If possible, I want to discourage promoting any one org (other than ADP) as recipient of the funds. The pitch is really to prepare for the next phase of this disaster - redevelopment; helping communities rebuild with pride and dignity. We need to emphasize that the next phase will be much more difficult than the current efforts, and many people will quickly forget once the tv cameras have gone, and relief fundraising has slowed.

We want people to invest in ADP's development philosophy, approach, and capacity to use it's network of NGOs to identify, evaluate, and fund promising initiatives through any number of Pakistan-based NGOs.

Are you still commited to raising $ for 1 or 2 specific orgs? Let's get input from others on how we could make this work on short notice...

You've had a full afternoon! Excellent progress!

~Justin
Amyn Moolji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought behind the 80/20 split comes from the fact that we have seen plenty of pleas from small groups on the ground trying to make a difference and besides individual donations, I don't see where they will get their funding from. I think this will make a real difference to people who might otherwise not get help for a while.

Justin, I think your point on not making this a particular charity driven approach is valid. ADP should be at the forefront since that is the institution people will be giving funds to. Plus I would also not want to use AKDN's name without their consent.

As far as contributing to FOCUS/AKDN is concerned, this comes more from my strong bias in favor of the organization. For those not familiar with AKDN (www.akdn.org), it is a group of private, non-denominational development agencies working in over 30 countries, with special focus on sub-Saharan Africa, South and Central Asia and the Middle East.

They have been active in the Northern Areas for a number of years (my father was involved for 17 of those), developing the infrastructure from water supply and sanitation to schools and microfinance. Here's a businessweek article from 2001 that provides some color :
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_48/b3759145.htm.

In addition, FOCUS was set up primarily for such a purpose providing disaster relief and mitigation, flowing into longer-term redevelopment. It has been quite active in rebuilding efforts in Central Asia and Afghanistan for a while, amongst other areas (http://www.akdn.org/news/tokyo210102.html). They are currently involved in the search and rescue operations.
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amyn,

I have been trying to figure out what the legalities would be of trying to raise money in the name of ADP in NY where we are not a registered organization. So far there is no clear cut answer and since we are a new organization we want to be very careful.

I would suggest that you use the adp network to connect with people. I have heard of FOCUS and their work is commendable. Get ADP members in NY to coordinate with you and Omar and raise funds for FOCUS.

I would encourage you to think of ADP as a vehicle for raising money for other organizations that are doing work on the ground. That is our current strategy too. We are not raising money for ADP but are acting as a conduit for Edhi and the President's fund.

There is a great need for funding smaller organizations though as they will not has as strong a donation draw as Edhi. I would like to see you guys as ADP members address this issue which is becoming critical as aid starts to drying out.

Other small organizations that we are getting good reports on are SUNGI, PIMS recommended by one of our members, Red Crescent Pakistan. I am hoping that you guys may be able to pick FOCUS and/or other smaller organizations and bring them under your relief effort umbrella.

Mahjabeen
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you guys can donate warm clothes, the drop off points are listed below.

Supplies Collection for New York - New Jersey

(info on Chicago, Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, and others coming soon)

We will collect items at various locations around the city (see below for details) until Friday October 14 at 8pm.
We encourage everyone to USE THIS INFO TO DONATE SUPPLIES. If you are able to, collect from other people on your own and drop items off at one of the official collection points.
This is so important. Without these supplies, there is a great danger the death toll in the region will continue to rise. Please take the time out to contribute to this effort.
The Your Dil Foundation is taking the lead on it in the following areas of the New York- New Jersey Region

www.yourdil.org

Instructions for Drop-Off

1. Choose closest collection point from those below.
2. Drop items off no later than 8pm on Friday October 14.
2. Bring clothing/blankets either in a bag or cardboard box with your contact info attached.
3. We have provided phone numbers/emails for each collection point. Please use email when necessary, phone only if unavoidable.
4. Please leave items with doorman if no one is home.

Items We Need

Blankets (Used or New)

Sweaters (Used or New)

Sweatshirts (Used or New)

Jackets/Coats (Used or New)

NEW Socks

NEW Thermals

UNOPENED Over-the-counter Painkillers and Stomach Medicines (Tylenol, Advil, Imodium, etc)

*Please note that we will not accept items outside of the above list*

Collection Points

Downtown

Aamna Zaidi
250 E. Houston, Apt. 2B
B/W Ave A and Ave B
aamnazaidi@yahoo.com
Subways: F & V to 2nd Ave

Samar Shaheryar
7 E. 14th St, Apt 702
B/W 5th and Union Square West
samar88@gmail.com
917-887-9788
Subways: 1/2/3/9/4/5/6/L/F to 14th St.

Midtown East

Kashif Akhtar
184 Lexington Ave, Apt 6c
B/W 31st and 32nd
Kash.Akhtar@csfb.com
917-683-6786
Subways: 6 to 33rd St.

Midtown West

Moniza Shaikh
World Wide Plaza, Apt. 3N
393 West 49th street
Corner of 9th avenue
moniza_shaikh@yahoo.com
314-651-3234
Subways: C/E on 50th & 8 Ave, 1/9 on 50th & Broadway, N/R/W on 49th & 7th Avenue

Upper Eastside

Najmi Sarwar
300 E. 77th St., Apt 27A
SE corner of 2nd Ave
najmi@4dil.org
212-396-9777
Subways: 6 to 77th St.

Upper Westside

Rishm Najm
55 West End Ave, Apt 2J
Corner of 62nd
rishmnajm@gmail.com
240-606-8797
Subways: 1 at 59th St./Columbus Circle

Teachers College, Columbia University
120th Street
Between Broadway and Amsterdam
Subway: 1 at 125th St.

New Jersey

Omar Qari
689 Marin Blvd Unit 1106
Jersey City, NJ
Directions: First right out of the Holland Tunnel onto Marin Blvd (Zephyr Lofts will be the last building on the left)
omar.qari@gmail.com
201-675-2244
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

We are working on getting ADP registered in NY over next couple of days so that we can continue with the fundraisers. We should have more information tomorrow as to where we stand and whether to go ahead with the fundraiser.

-Mohammed
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amyn and Omer,

My bias, r.e meeting the immediate needs, is in favor of funding large organizations, given the reports we are seeing on the success of these organizations in reaching those in need. That said, being a part of AKDN, FOCUS seems to fit the criteria.

Most importantly, I wouldn't discourage any ADP member from working to support any org doing good work on the ground. If you want to focus on raising funds for FOCUS in NY through the ADP, you should move forward.

We still need to resolve the tax issue, and will try to make sufficient progress on this by tomorrow. We'll try to remove the obstacles quickly, so you can move forward asap.

~Justin
Amyn Moolji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. If I can help at all with the tax/registration process, please let me know. What I was planning was to raise money for the relief effort without putting any particular end organization in the forefront (to the extent possible). For people who need official receipts for tax purposes, ADP could act as the vehicle if the tax issue is resolved. If not, I can do what I am doing right now, which is to direct them to the ADP website or to mail a check to Focus directly.

Raising money for the event rather than a particular organization would give us the flexibility to direct the money as the need arises, whether its FOCUS, ADP projects or the smaller orgs. If you feel this raises legal/tax/logistical issues, please let me know.

Omer is at the Columbia brainstorming session today. Will keep you guys posted on what develops. We can at least start with small efforts to raise money while the registration thing is being figured out.

Btw, I was thinking of asking the restaurants in the city to keep posters/information about the relief effort with perhaps the ADP or PAKsMIT website as places to go to donate. Would you have any objection to that, and would that still trigger any legal/tax issues? We could also perhaps ask them to collect funds for us on the spot when everthing is resolved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: