Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Temporary Housing For Earthquake Affected Areas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niveen Sayeed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Temporary Housing for Earthquake Affected areas Reply with quote

So I can't post on the earthquake relief forum , but I'm getting together with some other architects to brainstorm about ideas for temporary housing built using indigenous and "found" materials, I was wondering if this is something that ADP would be interested in supporting, or if anyone else can point me in the direction of any local NGO's that would be interested in this idea. I will be in Abbottabad this Thanksgiving Inshallah, so I'm hoping to be able to implement my ideas then....
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niveen,

This is exactly the kind of innovative thinking ADP seeks to support. We normally support established NGOs undertaking such efforts, but there is no reason ADP could not launch such a project itself, if the leadership is there and the resources can be assembled. Please keep us posted as you develop this idea!

~Justin

p.s. I know the Citizens Foundation intends to do some home building as part of their long-term response. You might approach them with the idea...
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niveen,

Housing will most certainly become, if not already, a major redevelopment challenge to rehabilitate people. Usually, the costs of housing millions of people is immense but nonetheless, ADP may be able to play a small role - a prototype perhaps that could, upon success, be taken to big organizations or even the government to scale the concept.

One organization that is involved in such work is Acumen Fund. Check out their 'Housing' portfolio at

http://www.acumenfund.org/Work/HousingAndFinance/
Niveen Sayeed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouragement! My plan is to get a few prototypes together through a collabrative effort before I contact the local NGO's and organizations such as TCF, hopefully we will have something together within a week so we can spend time co-ordinating and creating a concrete plan for implementation. I am also in touch with a local NGO in Abbottabad to try and figure out the most easily available materials in the area....if anyone has more local resources to get this kind of information from please let me know
Samira Saya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Housing Initiatives Reply with quote

Hi,

The Citizen's Foundation is indeed planning to construct 5000 homes each costing Rs. four hundred thousand (approximately $ 6700) in their second stage of helping the earthquake victims. Although the immediate concern is rescuing people and providing them food and other amenities, I think the longer term strategy to help them build their homes and slowly their livelihood is very important and essential to bring to notice at this early stage of relief efforts.

Being present in Karachi at the moment, I have noticed that people have been great in contributing towards collecting basic items etc (through various camps around the city) but those who have been affected by this tragedy are certainly looking for initiatives like help with building their homes etc which will be for the longer term. Also as the winter months are approaching, this is a grave concern and one that must be addressed right away. The Citizen's Foundation is looking for dontations and other volunteer help in this regard and any initiative on our part towards this goal will be great.

-Samira
Kashif Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost effective and sustainable housing will certainly be a critical element in the rehabiliation process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: