Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Earthquake Long-term Redevelopment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Earthquake Long-term Redevelopment Reply with quote

We at ADP need to be cognizant of not only the immediate rescue & recovery need but also the longer-term redevelopment effort. One can only imagine how many schools, hospitals and other basic infrastructure will need to rebuilt after the initial rescue and recovery. This redevelopment effort is one where ADP can play an important role of funding and supporting the best NGOs meet the most critical needs of their local communities.

Unfortunately, the devastating effects of the earthquake will remain in people's memories only for a short period of time. We need to make sure that during this time we not only help the immediate relief effort but also plan for the future rebuilding that will need to take place.

As such, I would recommend that in addition to the two links we have posted for immediate eartquake relief (Edhi & President's fund), we put a third link which would be designated for the "ADP Earthquake Redevelopment Fund".

This fund would be designated to support longer term redevelopment efforts specifically in areas affected by the earthquake.

I would recommend something like the following blurb next to the link:

"ADP has created an Earthquake Redevelopment Fund to support the longer-term redevelopment needs of the areas affected by the earthquake. Once the bodies have been recovered and the survivors rescued, there will be urgent need to provide the many basic social needs of the affected communities. There have been numerous schools, hospitals and local community centers that have been destroyed by the earthquake. ADP with its large network of relationships with some of the best and most professional NGOs working in Pakistan will over the next several months and years work with these NGOs to meet the most critical social needs of these communities. The funds will be designated to specifically benefit the communities affected by the earthquake."
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo,

I think it's a great idea and will be very much needed. However, I would suggest waiting till the initial emergency fundraising is over since people are not in the frame of mind to fund long-term development while there are lives to be saved. The key will be to have this up soon afterwards (a week or two from now), when the event is still fresh in people's minds.

-Tarim
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim,

I considered this issue and I agree that we need to be sensitive about this, but the only reason I would advocate doing this quickly is that ADP will get attention (and website hits) only for a short period of time while these emails and circulating and the earthquake is in the news. After the first couple of weeks, my fear is that attention and funding will dry up and no one will pay attention to long-term needs of the affected areas.

-MA
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, I agee. I see no reason not to plant the seed now, although I expect few will contribute initially. The fund is completely consistent with ADP's primary mission and core competency, and it would be good to plant the seed in people's mind asap while they are focused on the disaster.

I don't see it diminishing the relief effort in any way, and it will position us well to ramp up this long term initiative in a few week's time...

~Justin
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not totally convinced either way yet. One thing that I am personally debating is wouldnt asking for donations for ADP on the same page as the Edhi donations take away contribution money from that pool and would that be the right thing to do at this point.

As for the event being fresh in people's minds, Mohammed is right about it being the freshest right now. However, even if we wait now and later start a new campaign to collect funds for ADP that would be used in the future for efforts in the disaster struck areas only, it would be up to us to devise a concrete plan and a good strategy for asking for donations. People will ask as to where exactly the money will go and we would need to have a couple of NGOs with likely projects lined up as an answer.

What do other members think? Lets take a decision in this regard as well in a day or two so that if it turns out that putting up our separate donation link as well for this future pool is the right decision then we do not loose too much time.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about including the idea (and link,) of long-term relief donations with an official receipt of payment that we will be sending to all donaters in about a month?
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good opportunity to start the next part of our campaign Khurrum.
Akber Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mo we being cognizant about the next steps. One way would be to create a separate donation section (as proposed by Mo) for continued support. Another waycould be to have a set goal for the initial donations (assuming we could find out about the amount that goes through the ADP website) and anything collected beyond that could be put aside for future projects in the region - we will need to highligh this on our website. This idea of raising funds for projects may be a bit premature but we need to think long term.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good ideas here. It seems like we are all in favor of the initiative, but some question the timing. As a compromise solution, can we describe ADP's intention to launch this fund (and pitch it) below the two 'contribute' options, and actually launch it when relief giving reaches a certain threshold, or slows significantly - probably later this week.

I think it's important that ADP be in the lead with regard to the long-term response to the earthquake...

~Justin
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think delaying it is fine, but I would note that already most major countries are contributing large amounts to the relief effort (US: $50M, Kuwait $100M). Also, we have already raised in excess of $8000 in less that 24 hrs. I am afraid that there will not be much attention to the real long-term needs of those affected after initial attention.

I would recommend that we put a small text section regarding our intention to raise a redevelopment fund below the Edhi and President's fund links and then wait at most till Wednesday morning to actually put up the link.
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mohammad that we should have some text that talks about ADP's concern about the long term development of these areas. This will seed the idea that we are actively thinking beyond the first 72 hours of relief operation as surely, the real challenge will be to bring the life back in order for those affected.

I suggest we put this text as soon as possible so that those who are donating generously get to know our intention AND when we go back to them a month or two from now (maybe) they would be comfortable in supporting our efforts.
Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Long Term Development - partnerning with TCF Reply with quote

Salaams all -

I've not been able to follow all the discussion, so sorry to repeat any info, but The Citizens Foundation is working on earthquake relief in two phases, and if ADP would like to partner with it with its second phase, it could really use the help/money (as I believe you've allocated funds already for immediate relief). I'm posting the message below as posted by the Fundraising Consultant out of the UK as an FYI; the website will insh'Allah have information shortly (see www.thecitizensfoundation.org to learn more about TCF). I believe the TCF team in Karachi is currently working around the clock to implement the two-phased program.

Also - I would like to add that I have personally worked at TCF for a year and they are an amazing organization that truly will be working to reach the people it sets out to help. Although its primary focus is building schools and education, I have no qualms that their resources and connections will truly reach the people of Pakistan.

Yours,
Sarah

http://www.justgiving.com/TCFearthquakerelieffund

Dear Friends,

The weekend's events have saddened us all, and it is our earnest hope that all your family and friends in the region are safe and well. We have been asked by so many of you already whether FTCF, as a charitable organisation that you trust, will take donations for the earthquake emergency relief efforts in Pakistan.

The need and suffering is of such a magnitude that the TCF head office team in Karachi met yesterday to deliberate the issue and consequently decided that TCF would use its resources to focus on a specific program to alleviate the misery. At the urgent requests of its well-wishers and donors from the four provinces of Pakistan and overseas, TCF has put together a vehicle to bring relief to the victims of this national calamity.

TCF's two-phased strategy to provide systematic relief to the survivors of the earthquake in the Northern Areas and Azad Kashmir is as follows:

Immediate Relief: Starting today, we will provide basic care packages including tents, blankets and food rations to 20,000 affected people for the next seven days, for which we need Pak Rupees 30 Million (300,000)

Permanent Housing: In the second phase we plan to construct 5,000 seismically designed homes each costing Pak Rupees 400,000 (4,000). This will be a programme with a limited time frame of 2 years.

To date, TCF has concentrated its resources in the area of mass education. For this one off initiative, we have joined hands with the following organizations who will implement this relief and re-building plan. These are:

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) - national airline with a cargo facility
International Brands Limited (IBL) - a national distribution company
Institute of Architects of Pakistan
Association of Consulting Engineers of Pakistan

Donations to the TCF earthquake relief fund will be strictly segregated from our on going education programme and used specifically for short term relief.

Basic info about the TCF Relief Fund, contact details and the donation methods will be made available on our website www.ftcf.org.uk
You can make donations to the TCF Relief Fund through the following methods:

-With your credit card
JustGiving website

- Cheques or bank drafts
Cheques or bank drafts must be made in favour of 'TCF Relief Fund' and mailed directly to TCF in Pakistan at:
The Citizens Foundation, Relief Fund Office, 9th Floor, NIC Building, Abbasi Shaheed Rd, Karachi-75530, Pakistan.

- Deposits or direct bank transfers
Deposits or direct bank transfers can be made into the following account in Pakistan:
Title of Account: TCF Relief Fund
Bank: Askari Commercial Bank Ltd.
Account no: (PKR) 015-010104331-7
Swift Code: ASC-MPKKA
Branch: Clifton Branch & all online Askari Bank branches

For any queries about the emergency relief , Email quake-relief@thecitizensfoundation.org

Warm regards,

Mehvish Khan
Fundraising Consultant
Saima Gowani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Long term development Reply with quote

I agree that TCFs plans to build housing and sustainabile living environments for affected families is important, but duly important would be giving the kids something to do. CHildren are psychologically the most impacted in situations like this. I hope that the plan that we devise includes components of emergency education - including psychological, social, and academic support for children that would otherwise not have access to these resources. Giving these youth a 'fresh start' now might propogate them to join regular public schools if/when they become available. If this is a direction that ADP wants to pursue, please email me...

thanks
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest changing the title on our website from 'long term relief fund' to 'long term re-development fund'. There is a difference between relief and re-development. We want to be clear to our donnors on the type of efforts/projects their money will be spent.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilal,

I could not agree more. I have already brought this up several times. I think 'Relief' sends the wrong message. 'Redevelopment' suggests a progressive forward-thinking and implies that ADP will be helping communities rebuild with pride and dignity; not charity.

Adnan, if nobody objects, can we change this!?

~Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: