Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Pakistani Textbooks And Curriculum : The Subtle Subver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Pakistani Textbooks and Curriculum : "The Subtle Subver Reply with quote

It is usually very difficult and often very painful for one to realize the extent that he or she has been brainwashed over a period of time. Many of us on these forums have received the first part of their education up until high school in Pakistan and frequently in some of the best schools of the country. And even then, I recall sometimes getting confused between the chapters in my Islamiat, Pakistan Studies and Urdu books, all three of which are subjects made compulsory by the Pakistani government (non-Muslims are exempted from taking Islamiat). The curriculum for these subjects is defined in detail by the government for all schools including private schools.

Today I read an article on the BBC website titled US concern at Pakistan textbooks and the first thought that came to my mind was "here goes the mighty power dictating internal policy to Pakistan again". Nevertheless I decided to read the article. I found out that President Musharaf had asked the education ministry in March 2002 to undertake a comprehensive review of all textbooks. What was surprising was that the review recommended no major changes.

Frustrated, the The Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) undertook an independent review and published its report titled The subtle Subversion: A report on Curricula and Textbooks in Pakistan (attached with this post). I have read only a few pages of this 138 page report so far and it is truly an eye opener. That selected passages that I have read so far and which include specific references to government mandated books accurately reflect the material that I was brainwashed with and then tested upon during my school years. In SDPI's own words the report:

Shows how the mainstream school education system:
Quote:

• Teaches a student to hate people of other nations and religions
  • Incites students to violence, intolerance and war mongering
  • Creates a false sense of identity that excludes all non-Muslims from the mainstream

And how in the name of Pakistani nationhood:
Quote:

• History is distorted and blatant lies are propagated in the name of historical truths
  • War and the militancy is glorified
  • Gender and social stereo types promoted
  • Covers up the flaws in educational ideology

Following is a sample of the hate material contained in these text books:
Urdu Class V, Punjab Textbook Board, Lahore, March 2002, p 108 wrote:
Hindu has always been an enemy of Islam.
Muasherati Ulum for Class IV, Punjab Textbook Board, Lahore, 1995, p 81 wrote:
The religion of the Hindus did not teach them good things -- Hindus did not respect women...
Muasherati Ulum for Class V, Punjab Textbook Board, Lahore, 1996, p 109 wrote:
Hindus worship in temples which are very narrow and dark places, where they worship idols. Only one person can enter the temple at a time. In our mosques, on the other hand, all Muslims can say their prayers together.

I hope that everyone on these forums reads this report because the first step towards any betterment for the future is the realization of the wrongs of the past and the present.

State of CurrTextBooks.pdf
 Description:
The Subtle Subversion : The State of Curricula and Textbooks in Pakistan (Urdu, English, Social Studies and Civics)

Download
 Filename:  State of CurrTextBooks.pdf
 Filesize:  513.66 KB
 Downloaded:  2697 Time(s)

Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another article in LA Times that talks about the same problem.

In Pakistan's Public Schools, Jihad Still Part of Lesson Plan
By Paul Watson
LA Times
Thu, August 18, 2005

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-fg-schools18aug18,1,4797087.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> General All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: