Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Member Profiles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Member profiles Reply with quote

Guys,

Can each of you please post a brief intro to yourself as a response to this thread? It will be a good start for everyone on the forums to get to know each other, and will eventually form the basis for member profiles on our web site.

Here is the template to use:

Subject:
Your full name

Body:
1) Name
2) Location
3) Occupation
4) Bulleted educational summary (including graduation years)
5) Something about your background, interests etc.

I am going to post mine as an example after this.

Last edited by Tarim Wasim on Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Tarim Wasim Reply with quote

Tarim Wasim
Boston, MA
Student

- A.B. Computer Engineering, Dartmouth College (1999)
- MBA Candidate, Harvard Business School (2005)

I grew up in Karachi and Islamabad, and came to the US after completing my A' Levels from Froebels. Realizing that people in engineering were too smart for me to have a prayer, I switched to business (consulting, investing) after college. I'm very interested in how we can catalyze Pakistan's development, especially the issue of sustainable progress. I am moving to SF in August, so let me know if you want to help me launch our first West Coast chapter there!
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Danish Saleem Reply with quote

Danish Saleem
San Jose, CA
Fund Raising ( temp)

- BSc, Entrepreneurship and MIS, University of Arizona, 2004

Born and raised in Karachi. Came to US ( LA) in late 99 after finising my first year of A Level ( City School Darakshan). Moved to Tucson, Arizona in Fall of 2001 to finish my undergraduate. Currently working for United Way Silicon Valley as a Systems Analyst

I would like to make contributions in two areas: human services ( esp disability related issues), and help small businesses grow in Pakistan.

If I am around in August, I will definatly help Tarim set up the first west coast chapter of ADP!

Last edited by Danish Saleem on Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adnan Khalid
Boston, MA
Software Engineer

- BSc. Computer Science, McGill University (1999)
- MSc. Candidate, Boston University (2005)

Finished my O-Levels and A-Levels from St. Michaels and Karachi Grammar School respectively after which I went to Montreal, Canada in 1996. Moved to Boston in 1999 and started working for a company called Teradyne. Been here since then.
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Name: Mahjabeen Quadri

2) Location: Boston, MA
3) Occupation: Architectural Designer
4) Bulleted educational summary (including graduation years): BS in Architectural Studies, SM in Architectural Studies

5) Something about your background, interests etc.:

Grew up in Karachi, went to St. Joseph's for Os and St. Patrick's for As. Came to the US for my bachelors at the University of Illinois then moved on to Mass. Institute of Technology for my masters. Finally have been working for a small architectural firm in Cambridge, MA for the past year.
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilal Arif
Staff Engineer- Formulation
Boston, MA

BSc. BioEngineering, Western New England College
BEng. Chemical Engineering, McGill University
MSc. Biotechnology, Tufts University

I was born and raised in Peshawar, Pakistan. After finishing my high school from PAF Peshawar, I came to North America, first to Massachusetts, US and than to Montreal, Canada to study engineering. Moved to Boston in 2000 and presently working for a Biotech company in Massachusetts .

Through ADP, I want to learn and understand the issues faced by our youth. I am especially interested in development programs that can help provide the youth of Pakistan at least an opportunity to better their future.

Last edited by Bilal Arif on Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar Biabani
Software Engineer
Boston, MA

- B.Eng. Computer Engineering, McGill University (2000)
- MS Candidate - Computer Science, Boston University (2005)

Born and brought up in Karachi, I did my Matric and Inter from Bahria College. Spent my undergrad years at McGill University, Montreal and graduated as a computer engineer in 2000. Besides working as an engineer at Teradyne Inc. in Boston, I am finishing my MS in computer science from Boston University in May 2005. I am very interested in creating a development platform which facilitates people, especially young Pakistanis, to truly engage in real developmental challenges faced by Pakistan today - A network that allows people to easily participate in shaping the future of Pakistan , where ever they may be.
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mubarik Faisal Imam

Location: Currently in Cambridge (UK) will be back in Cambridge (US) in the fall.
Educational summary (including graduation years): I studied in Lahore Grammar School from kindergarden till my A-levels. I then went to MIT and am currently spending my junior year at Cambridge University in England, hope to be back at MIT in the fall. I'll be coming to meetings in the fall =).

Something about your background, interests etc.
I was born in the US and have grown up in Pakistan. I wanted to be an astronaut for 18 years then decided thats not something I wanted to do any more so am still trying to decide what to do.Business/Development/Tech stuff interest me.. lemme know if you have any suggestions =). I am into debating and photography. I've worked on setting up science labs in rural areas in Pakistan and have worked with some NGOs.I think that the younger generation needs to get more involved in development. I look forward to seeing ADP grow.

PS. I am NOT a guy =)
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadia Shaikh
Lahore, Pakistan (moving to Karachi soon. One day I want to live in South Africa).
Consultant

B.Eng Computer Engineering, McGill University (2001)

Earlier years were spent in the rolling-stone life of a foreign-office kid. Then got a chance to enjoy the hospitality of the boarding houses of OPF College Islamabad, where I completed my O and A'levels (and also learnt how to pick locks). Then moved to the most gorgeous city, Montreal, for my undergrad. Followed that up by a consulting stint in the US. Three years later and I still can't give you my job description. The next chapter of my life has taken me to Pakistan.

I want to be involved in educating Pakistanis - arming the people with knowledge that will allow them to break free of poverty and stand on their own.
Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah Karim

Educational summary (including graduation years):
Karachi Grammar School (Karachi, Pakistan) - '86-'95
Quince Orchard HS (G'burg, MD) - Class of '99
Wellesley College (Wellesley, MA) - Class of '03, BA in International Relations, Minor in Educational Studies.

Something about your background, interests etc.
Born in the US, and spent my childhood in Pakistan. Recently moved back to Karachi in January 2004 - and worked with TCF for a year (see fantab website at www.thecitizensfoundation.org). Currently manage CSR (corporate social responsibility) for a liquified petroleum gas company (seriously, the energy sector is way interesting; who'd have thought?) and on the side, developing Impak. It's a Pakistan Service Corps program, would love any input (or help) - www.impak.org.
Aamir Mian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Aamir H. Mian Reply with quote

Name:
Aamir Hafeez Mian

Validation Consultant

Bulleted educational summary (including graduation years):
* O-Levels, June 99, Cambridge High School Dubai
* BSc. Computer Info. Systems, Dec 2003, Indiana University Bloomington
* Currently work as in Quality Assurance at Millennium Pharmaceuticals in Cambridge, MA

Something about your background, interests:
Born in Dubai, moved to Indiana for college in 2000, drifted around since graduation and finally grounded in Boston. Big advocate/critic of Pakistani music. Hope some day our future generations might not feel the need to leave Pakistan for other shores in search of knowledge & wealth.
Natasha Waliany

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by Natasha Waliany on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Maham Mela

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Maham Abbas Mela

Location: Oxford University (until June), then moving back to Stanford University, CA, USA.

Occupation: Student (with no hope of being anything else, my uncle said)

Educational Background:
- O & A Levels, Lahore Grammar School, Lahore, Pakistan
- Currently a junior in Stanford University, spending the quarter at Oxford, majoring in Economics, International Relations and honors in Education.

Something about me:
I'm the eldest of three siblings and it shows because my brother wanted to go to college anywhere but Stanford. People have made fun of my last name a lot (including Mubarik Faisal Imam who is not a guy, like she says), and they have consequently gotten beaten up - literally. I used to stay awake all night reading with a torch under my bedcovers but I've hardly read anything fun since college.
And this is NOT a complaining opportunity.
However, I'm also interested in working in public policy, internationally as well as in Pakistan, focusing on economics and education. I've worked with NGOs but I think my niche is the public sector. I'm thinking of graduate school in public policy, law, business and medicine (even though I haven't taken any biology since 8th grade) and consequently my family think I'm crazy and will never get anything done.
Henna Butt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name-Henna Butt

Location-Boston, MA

Occupation-Finance

Education: Case Western Reserve University-Dec 2000

Random:Was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Have been moving around a lot with work and have finally managed to spend some time in Boston. My goal with ADP is to make a postitive difference in Pakistan-however large or small-whether it is empowering the youth or providing medical aid-anything is better then sitting idle!
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohammed Anjarwala
Boston, MA
Student

BA Applied Mathematics, Franklin & Marshall College (1999)
MBA Candidate, Harvard Business School (2006)

I grew up in Karachi and came to F&M in 1995 after having done my O & A levels from Karachi Grammar School. After graduating from college, I moved to Chicago (one of the most beautiful cities) where I worked as a consultant for three years. Since 2002, I have been in Boston where I first worked at a private equity firm and am now completing my MBA (i.e. improving my golf and poker skills).

I'm interested in how market-based methods can drive and sustain development. I've recently become interested in micro-finance and its growth and development in Pakistan. I truly believe that if major financial institutions enter the micro-finance sector as a profit-making exercise, the lower-middle class could benefit tremendously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Volunteering All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: