Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

California Chapter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: California Chapter Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Danish, Mahjabeen and I met this Sunday in San Francisco to discuss starting an ADP California chapter. With Maham Mela at Stanford, we will have at least 4 existing ADP members in this area by the end of September. Best of all, we're all excited about making this happen.

We are targeting an intro ADP meeting at the end of September/early October where we'll invite friends in the area who could be potential ADP members. In the interim, our efforts will be focused on three areas:

1. Registration: Danish is looking into getting ourselves registered in the state of California so that we are allowed to raise funds as a non-profit here. The current ADP 501(c)3 should be work for us as well.

2. Flesh out ADP's Chapter Model: We all (ie, ADP members) will need to design the working relationship between chapters. This will mostly involve determining which functions and resources are shared vs. autonomous, but there will be other areas as well such as how to ensure close communication and collaboration.

3. Local Marketing: We are going to start spreading the word informally to folks we come across for now on about starting a chapter. Once we've figure out a basic working model, we'll start e-mailing local lists etc. At some point, we can start advertising it on our web site as well.

Stay tuned for some initial suggestions on #2 in the coming weeks. In the interim, please share any thoughts/ideas you might have.

Cheers,
Tarim
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim, it's great to know that you all you guys out there are still as excited about starting a new chapter as you were months ago. I still have electronic copies of all the application material we had submitted for our 501c status in the state of Massachusetts. Let me know when and if you need me to send those to you.

-adnan
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Very exciting. You should also bring Khurram (khurram.jamali@gmail.com) into the discussion, as he is keen to begin a DC chapter in the coming months.

Let me know where I can help...

~Justin
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news Very Happy .

There are a bunch of colleges around that area and I am bugging Maham to drag more college students into ADP.

Good luck with everything. We'll miss you guys in Boston!
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim good to know you are setting up a new chapter in SF. I have some friends in SF who may be potential ADP members. I can send an introductory mail out. Are you still using your Harvard e-mail account?
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update you guys on how things are progressing with the ADP California chapter, Maham Mela has done a great job with forming a relationship with the Pakistani Association as Stanford and through them we have not only booked the room for our first meeting this Saturday (Oct 8th) but also have been promised a good attendence.

Danish, Tarim and I are getting the materials ready for the meeting. We are very positive about the meeting and will give you an update next week.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahabeen and Tarim,

I wonder if you can direct me towards what kind of documents I should be looking for to register ADP in the DC/ Virginia/ Maryland Area before putting together the first meeting. From a conversation I had with Mohammed, it is much easier to register an organization once the main chapter is established. It would be great if I could get some guidance on the matter.

I guess the other thing I should be looking for is someone who is settled in DC. So far, I, and everyone that has shown interest in the DC area does not reside here permanently, so maybe finding someone more permanent will make more sense.

Best wishes for the continued growth of the California chapter!

--Khurram
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is excellent news! Great work! Can't wait to hear about the meeting outcome...

~Justin
Saima Gowani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: CA.. Reply with quote

Also, the Pakistani Students Association at San Jose State and UC Berkeley are very active. Might want to find a way to involve them....
with Ramzan just here, i know people get together for iftaars nightly. could be a good captive audience..

saima
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Iftaar idea! That really would be a great way of getting a captive audience! I might look into Iftaar receptions at American University and GWU and Georgetown as well to try to recruit interested people!
Anwer Khan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: ADP chapter in DC/VA/MD Reply with quote

Khurram:

I live near DC and could help with the registration and reach-out efforts in the DC/VA/MD area. I'm still new to ADP, so would need some guidance.

Anwer
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anwer, please email me on khurram.jamali@gmail.com so that I have your email address.

I don't seem to have you on my list of ADP members that are in the DC area.

Thanks,

Khurram
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the encouragements! : )

Khurram, both Danish and Tarim are working on the registration part. They should be able to wisen you on the process.

The iftar idea is great! We will definately try it out in Stanford but Berkeley with their socially conscious culture would be excellent candidates for ADP. Do you know of any personal contacts by any chance who we could tap?

We will be tapping San Jose soon as Maham has a couple of contacts there.
Hasnain Rizvi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, Just joined the ADP network.I'm in the Bay Area and looking forward to be an active part of California chapter.
Wanted to know when and where is the next meeting (if it has been decided).
I have few contacts for PSA in UC Berkeley, SJSU and couple of other places.
I am sure the califonia chapter will snow ball fast and be a huge success.

I was also about to start my own non-profit org till i learned of ADP, and had collected the necessary information and documents to register. If you guys need any help with that i'd be happy to share the info.
my email address is mrizvi@gmail.com.

looking forward to learn more about ADP.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: ADP Cal Updates Reply with quote

ADP Cal members,

It's been a while since we've been in touch, mostly with folks being busy/away for the holidays, but also because we've been working on restaurant week (more on that below). ADP Cal will be back in force early 2006, but in the meanwhile, here are a few quick updates:

1. Next meeting
We will have our third meeting on Sat, Jan 14th at Stanford. On the agenda is discussing our strategy for finding good earthquake redevelopment projects, evaluating existing proposals we have received and discussing the working model for ADP Cal. I will send out more details on logistics and agenda in the second week of January.

2. Registration
ADP is now officially registered in California thanks to Danish and Mahjabeen's efforts. We are now allowed to fundraise locally as a 501(c)3 org. Thanks D and M!

3. Restaurant Week (a.k.a "A Generous Helping")
A group of dedicated folks has put in a lot of hard work to create a website and marketing materials for this week-long event which envisions Bay Area restaurants donating a percentage of their proceeds to earthquake relief. Please check out the website at www.GenerousHelping.org for a sneak peak.

We are still testing restaurant interest given that the earthquake has dropped out of the news, but will keep you posted. In the meanwhile, I'd like to thank Mamoon, Khurram, Ali, Rehan and Mahjabeen for all the hours they have already put into this.

4. ADP Earthquake Fundraising
ADP has now raised $364k for earthquake relief. This includes $10k from the San Francisco Foundation and $25k from the Levi Strauss Foundation, which are both California-based organizations. Both grants were the result of efforts by ADP Cal members. We should all be proud of the impact we've created in such a short time!

The fund details are available on the web, but one key thing to note is that we have raised $52k+ for earthquake redevelopment that we as a group need to allocate to deserving projects in the coming months. This is a big responsibility, and I hope you all are excited about working hard to put these funds to their best use.

5. ADP in the News
The Boston Globe (the most widely read paper in Boston) published a long article on ADP today, which I'm copying below. It's a thoughtful piece and a good background on ADP that I thought you would find interesting. Please forward it to anyone who might be interested in ADP. The url is http://www.boston.com/ae/media/articles/2005/12/26/men_on_a_mission/

That's it from me. I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Mahjabeen and I look forward to seeing all of you in 2006!

Cheers,
Tarim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Volunteering All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: