Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

More Urgent Needs Than Money

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: More urgent needs than money Reply with quote

Following is an excerpt from an email I received earlier
Quote:
Raising money is good. But what people in this earthquake need urgently are two things:

1. Helicopters
2. Search and Rescue teams with K9 dogs

Pakistan has none of these. Our country does. Since Saturday morning I have done nothing but work on this. But not much is being done.

Money, food and shelter are for those who survived, but there are thousands still under the rubble waiting for other human beings to rescue them.

Please call President Bush thanking him for the 8 helicopters he is sending but request to send at least 100 more, which can carry heavy equipment to remote areas.

Please call White House now (202) 456-1414 and your Senator & Congressperson http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Here is why it is important: I have been to those areas several times through out my life. I have done camping as a scout there and have repeatedly visited the area. These are extremely narrow valleys and most roads are so narrow that one vehicle has to wait until the other passes. Those entire roads are blocked and there is no way to bring in heavy equipment except through helicopters.

There are two schools in one of the beautiful place Balacote where Shah Ismail Shaheed is buried. More than 650 children are under the rubble there. People can still hear their voices according to the news agencies but they are using just hands and shovels to remove the rubble of these four story buildings. No government, no soldiers, just parents and neighbors who survived.

Pakistanšs top needs are helicopters to bring in heavy equipment and the search and rescue teams with K 9 dogs.

Please call White House now (202) 456-1414 and your Senator & Congressperson http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Please keep praying for those still under the rubble.

The collection of funds is important, please donate, but the first thing is to get more helicopters to carry more search and rescue teams with K9 dogs.

In the Iranian Earthquake a year ago, people were being dug out even after seven days. And here two days have passed with hardly any digging.
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using this topic so it can get everyones attention. i posted the comments below in the boston team topic but i want it to go to all the teams working. these are from my observances in the past week. we need tents and blankets these 2 things i assure u are needed most as weather in the northern areas is getting worse.

im in lahore now and for the past week i had been in abbottabd and other northern areas. from what i have seen there is an abundant supply of clothing available. they are actually going to waste in some areas. what is needed are tents. ia relative of mine brought camping tents from dubai these are about 5 pounds heavy and the size of a small sports bag. a man can carry 4-6 of these easily and each one can acomodate about 6-8 or more ppl in emergency. theyr worth abt 5000 pak rs each and we set up a 100 tent village in ogror valley. more are on the way. we have some trekkers who have carried these tents to remote vaillages. if u want help see if u can arrange for these or other light weight tents. i know plenty of places that need them urgently. thanks

sajjad
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sajjad! You are doing great work on the ground! In the coming days, we are hoping to get a lot of insight from you on which NGO's will be leading the redevelopment effort, and where there are opportunities for ADP to support the efforts and add value.

To let you know, my wife (Shazia Bakar) and I have also been in touch with Samina Khan at SUNGI. Do keep us posted on their plans for the medium- and long-term response.

Also, please express our deepest condolences to everybody at Sungi for the tragic death of their colleague Tariq Khan. What a tragedy...

~Justin
Ali Hanafi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Appeal for more helicopters Reply with quote

OPEN (www.opensiliconvalley.com) instituted a letter-writing campaign to the UK Government and NATO appealing for more helicopters yesterday. We had already implemented one for the US Government.

The latest form letters are attached and instructions can be found at: http://opensiliconvalley.com/Documents/pakistan_earthquake/appeal_for_helicopters.html

NATO_helicopter request2.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NATO_helicopter request2.doc
 Filesize:  27.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1344 Time(s)

UKGovt_helicopter request2.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  UKGovt_helicopter request2.doc
 Filesize:  27 KB
 Downloaded:  1309 Time(s)

Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAQUAKE.ORG has made the following press release today (attached with this post).

SAQuake Press Release.doc
 Description:
SAQUAKE.ORG press release on October 26th

Download
 Filename:  SAQuake Press Release.doc
 Filesize:  27.5 KB
 Downloaded:  3680 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: