Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Adp's Future Role In Earthquake Relief

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: ADP's Future Role in Earthquake Relief Reply with quote

Please share your input on how you'd like to see ADP's Earthquake Relief efforts develop in the coming months. There are two phases of need that we see going forward:

1) Daily needs (food, shelter, health) of tent cities through the harsh winter months, and
2) Permanent redevelopment and reconstruction in the affected areas

ADP intends to participate in both stages by partnering with NGOs on the ground. We are evaluating various models, from adopting a village to funding specific but more widely dispersed projects. In keeping with ADP's participatory model, please share:

1) How you feel ADP can add the most value in the medium- and long-term, and
2) Organizations you would recommend which are leading large-scale efforts and will be responsive ADP partners on specific projects

Thanks,
Tarim
Sheeza Zuberi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about helping individuals that are identified by the ground team in Pakistan?

Some possible means could be

- re building housing
- re starting a business/job relocation
- medical help for whose lost limbs and need further surgery
- re locating a family to a new area

Sajjad mentioned many individuals . We could start with them

M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good suggestions there sheeza.

#1 and #4 are essential at the moment and the governemnt and other relief organizations will be trying to quickly move from the tent provision stage (not yet reached) to the actual building of houses (i'd estimate to start in about 2-3 weeks or so) i'd also like to mention that in the not so northernand cut off areas even normal sturdy tents can help the people survive the winter. for the really northern spots is where evacuation or infrastructure development is a must.

#2 is vital in the long run, but the relief,rescue and infrastructure development have priority right now.

#3 is a hidden menace that has not come to light to everyone is the growing number of people who have been maimed by this tragedy. the number runs into tens of thousands and is growing rapidly since gangerine has set in. a medical relief officer who helped in the Tsunami said this tragedy is more sever due to the number of people injured and so many of them being children. providing these folks with some way of sustaining themselves in the future needs to be an essential process of this relief effort.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Suggestions from ADP Members Reply with quote

The next series of posts are from ADP volunteers who responded to the e-mail that was sent out with suggestions on how ADP can help.

EHD Foundation
Sheba Najmi (ADP Cal member) has a cousin who has worked with EHD. This is an NGO in Islamabad whose chairman is from one of the villages destroyed by the eartquake. They are buying food, medicines, tents for the affected areas and have found a supplier of tents for only $7.50 a piece because materials and labor are donated. These will be used to shelter victims at lower altitudes (see below).

I am posting excerpts from an e-mail by Sheba's cousin describing EHD's work.

Oct 12
"....Mr Raja Fazil (chairman of EHD) came back last night from visiting his village and burying his khala, phopi, four cousins and 20 other peole from his village. He says he visited 20 villages. In each of them 30-35 people had died. Each village had a population of about 100 people. Every family has lost 2 or 3 people. Some families have been entirely decimated. In his village only one house has been spared. He says as of last night ( 4 days into the disaster) not a person had reached them, from the army or otherwise. Partly because even the army alone cannot handle such a massive job. Secondly because even the roads that have been cleared of rocks, these are the relatively larger roads. The rural roads have been annihilated. Truckers don't know the way and a local person has to accompany them to show them the way to the village. The last half hour or so has to be walked to get to the village from the road that is still intact.

For four days he said that people in his village had been fasting on qawa (unsweetened, because no sugar). So they've had no food, no shelter and the injured of which he could bring back only seven, have not even had the blood wiped off of them. There are in urgent need of medical supplies and people who can administer the aid. People with head wounds and fractures are still lying in those conditions. Tomorrow inshaAllah EHD is sending a team of doctors with more supplies to these twenty villages. Since many of the people working for EHD are local to those areas, for us it is not an issue of how to get there.

....We've tried to spread our zakat/sadaqa out between different organizations, private groups since they reach different affected areas
although most of our efforts are coordinated through EHD since I've been working with them for two years now and know that they can be commpletely trusted."

Oct. 22nd
"...The tents that I am ordering now are not for the toughest weather. The really expensive tents are probably for the worst climates. However we plan to use these tents at lower altitudes where we are expecting them to be able to withstand the weather conditions inshaAllah."
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Importance of ADP Monitoring

From Madiha Sultan...

"It is great that so much money has been raised and that you guys are planning more long term relieft as well. I cant really comment right now on what new ideas I may have, however from previous work experience with a Begian NGO I just wanted to mention, that if you adopt a village or decide to fund a particular project focusing on a wider area, I would strongly suggest that along with money you send one representative from this end who can monitor, manage and report back to you guys. Our NGO in Belgium would do that especially since funding was coming from the European Commision and it proved that funds were used much more effectively and also increased transparency.

I assume most of your members are busy and have jobs etc, and thus
maybe you can send out an application to all members, offering to pay for expenses and a some extra's while they are there and im sure you will get some interest."
Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: ADP and EHD Reply with quote

With reference to Tarim's email and Sheba's forward, I would highly highly recommend that ADP consider working with EHD (Education for Human Development), and second the post that has been made, because I feel strongly that it falls under ADP's interests and goals.

Essentially, Sheba's cousin is Shameelah, who is Khadeeja Balkhi's sister (Khadeeja is my colleague who's part of the Tent Drive team (http://tentdrive.blogspot.com), and thus she's technically Sheba's cousin as well). The supplier that Sheba mentions in her post is actually our Tent Drive group, as we are helping EHD purchase tents, both for the lower plains as well as panaflex ones for the higher plains. (We were initially going to fundraise and purchase tents for EHD for about 11 villages it is working with, as you may note from our strategy, but now are just using funds they managed to obtain to facilitate ordering tents for them. In fact, we just placed an order of 50 panaflex tents for them day before yesterday.)

I share below an email Khadeeja just wrote to some friends of ours that contacted us to volunteer on the ground, that adds on to what Sheba had emailed Tarim about:

Khadeeja's email:

"EHD is also another organization that is doing relief work. People from smaller villages that EHD's possibly worked with in the past keep telling EHD about yet another small village that has yet to receive any supplies.

Also, if you know people who want to come but can't make it to the relief areas, EHD started primary schools for displaced children from the mountains, KG-Grade 5. Many people have walked upto 2 days from the harsher mountains to make it to Islamabad for relatively friendlier weather. EHD is helping set up tent villages for these communities as well. I'll ask if they need volunteers as well-this may require a bit of a longer-term commitment. (Education Health Development, a small, very transparent Islambad-based organization my sister has been working with for over a year, with 0 administrative margins.)"

Knowing the areas that EHD works in, I think it would be a great recipient of some of ADP's funds for rehabilitation for the quake. In working with Khadeeja (who's a close friend of mine) and knowing Shameela, I can obtain further information for you and/or put you in touch with Shameela if ADP is not already in touch w/EHD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: