Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Dastak & The Adp Network

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Dastak & the ADP network Reply with quote

Folks,

I wanted to start a discussion around a growing and underutilized ADP asset: our volunteer network. At last count, we had 282 people on our mailing list, most of whom have expressed a desire to hear about volunteer opportunities, meetings in their area and get newsletters. We are getting 2-3 signups a week, though I think this can increase considerably if we truly activate this network.

Our only channel of communication with our entire volunteer base is Dastak. Currently, Dastak is a newsletter with updates on our activities. While this is critical, it does not give folks specific ways they can help. I have some ideas on changes to make Dastak more effective. Unfortunately, they will require more work and perhaps 2 people running the effort rather than one, but I think it is worth it if we want to accelerate our growth. These are just a start for brainstorming. Please add your ideas/thoughts to the list:

1) Include requests for Site Visits and information on NGOs explicitly. So for example, we'd ask folks if they have any feedback on Baam in the next newsletter

2) Start general development discussions on the public forums and invite volunteers to post their views on it. For example, we could post a statement that says: how can we achieve a 90% literacy rate in Pakistan? Every third Dastak would pose such a question with a link to the discussion. Ideally, we'd have views from a development expert posted in there to start.

3) Include feedback from NGOs and members who have worked with us. Similar to client testimonials on a corporate web site. We need to show that we're having an impact on real people.

4) (Non-Dastak) Use the volunteers to start Pakistan chapters. We now have over 40 people who have signed up from Pakistan. If Sajjad, Nadia or Sameera (or anyone else) has the time, we have the potential to contact these folks and get something going on the ground.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tarim,

These are all excellent ideas. We got some feedback from Parwez Wahid at our last meeting which built confidence that Dastak may be our most effective direct marketing vehicle for the near future... We hope to begin distributing Dastak to the PAGB e-mail list with this next issue. We could probably do this with many such organizations around the world.

Below are just a few thoughts on each of your suggestions-

1) Include requests for Site Visits and information on NGOs explicitly.
JS: Site visit requests sound like an excellent way to engage people in Pakistan! I think the timing may make it difficult to request general feedback on the NGO. Alternatively, we may get a large volume of feedback that is not terribly useful. Also, it may make people feel we do not have good methods for evaluating NGOs. What do you think?

2) Start general development discussions on the public forums and invite volunteers to post their views on it.
JS: Excellent! I say we try it and see if it is manageable. If it is, we could pose a new question in every issue!

3) Include feedback from NGOs and members who have worked with us. JS: Great idea. We could also solicit feedback/eval/endorsement from a third party in some instances...

4) (Non-Dastak) Use the volunteers to start Pakistan chapters. We now have over 40 people who have signed up from Pakistan.
JS: Samira is here this week. We'll talk to her about leading this effort. She can connect with Nadia and others...

Lets get a volunteer to help Tarim manage the Dastak effort!

~J
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the pre-requisites for us to use our network more effectively is to understand it better. I'm including a breakdown of our mailing list by country/state below. I would encourage everyone to e-mail me with volunteering opportunties or requests for help that we could include in future Dastaks. A large majority have said that they are interested in doing more than simply reading ADP updates.

Also, while we don't have detailed stats, I know that the network includes students and professionals in the corporate as well as non-profit realm. Justin/Danish, maybe we should also brainstorm on how we can approach the network more directly for fundraising.

ADP Network Profile
    Pakistan: 45
    Punjab 9
    Sind 9
    NWFP 2
    Unknown 25

USA: 164
    California 8
    DC 4
    Florida 1
    Georgia 1
    Indiana 1
    Maine 1
    Maryland 2
    Mass 108
    Michigan 1
    Minnesota 2
    NH 3
    New Jersey 1
    New York 15
    North Dakota 1
    Pennsylvania 1
    Texas 2
    Virginia 3
    Unknown 9

Europe: 7
    Canada: 8
    Unknown: 64

Total 288

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Volunteering All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: