Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Sws Noor Lakhan School Computer Room

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: SWS Noor Lakhan School Computer Room Reply with quote

Project Kick-off Call:

In advance of the call I have jotted down some of my thoughts on the project that will hopefully help guide our discussion and the diligence. By no means is this list comprehensive but I have tried to focus on what I believe are the key issues. Please add on as you see appropriate.

Project positives
1. SWS and AIE appear to be high quality NGOs with a focus on sustainability that jives well with ADP’s mission
2. Computer literacy is an obviously deserving source of funds – we have funded similar projects in the past (although not for room construction I believe, Waleed?)
3. Potential to have a greater impact in the future since this school is the model/flagship school for the other 10-11 schools in the Katcha area

Diligence areas
1. Budget
a. Think the goal should be to come up with our own detailed budget of how much this should really cost by obtaining 3rd party quotes so we can credibly challenge their budget/assumptions and suggest improvements in their procurement arrangements
b. Areas of concern
i. Cost/beneficiary is high – get greater precision on this
1. 150 students will benefit initially (PKR 800k/150 = PKR5,333), but perhaps we should be spreading the cost over several years – so what is estimated life of building + anticipated maintenance costs. Might be helpful to do a simple pro forma model/calculation
2. So how do we decrease cost/beneficiary?
a. Decrease Cost
i. Any contacts to obtain donated chairs/computers/etc
ii. Can we tap CSR budgets for cement, air conditioning, electrical equipment, etc companies?
iii. Determine size of room really necessary, alternate construction techniques, etc
b. Increase Beneficiaries
i. Drill down more on how they intend to use the lab in multiple shifts
ii. Can the computers be used for any other educational or commercial use in the village?
3. Waleed, do we have a cost/beneficiary database for other funded projects so can contextualize this better?
ii. Proportion of budget devoted to building a room is high
1. How do we mitigate?
a. Build room for cheaper
b. Make room multi-purpose (getting back to improving the cost/beneficiary)
c. Can we stage funding as we see progress?
i. Any creative ideas for how to get around this? If not, I think we’ll just have to live with it. Waleed, any ideas on if/how funding was staged for the other Computer Lab projects we’ve done? Perhaps it wasn’t an issue for those if we weren’t funding building construction costs
2. Project impact
a. I’m a little concerned about how much of an impact a computer lab will have in such a remote area. Will beneficiaries get as much out of it as would beneficiaries in a more urban location? Therefore is this the best use of our funds?
i. Learning more about the composition of the student body and their post-graduation jobs will be helpful. As will learning about the village’s local economy. Is it all agriculture and is that what everyone ends up doing anyways – if that is the case, will computer literacy really help them?
ii. Can the computers be used for any other educational or commercial use in the village? Whether or not they will have internet connections will impact the answer here significantly I suspect so we should find this out.
b. Diligence Ali Institute of Education
i. Need to get comfortable around their experience and ability since they are administering the education. Do they have case studies for similar projects in the past? Think we could start with a conversation with an AIE representative as well as get Mubarik’s impressions on the organization since she has worked with them in the past I believe. Sounds like her view is that they’re pretty credible since she suggested we use them for our site visits.
3. Project impact measurement – “what are the success markers?”
a. Need to define the metrics and outcomes we’re looking for – e.g. can we quantify improvements in student job placement?
4. Location is a definite project negative we should be aware of
a. Makes site visits tough (especially unannounced ones) but should be able to mitigate through AIE representation
b. Security of computer equipment – need to figure out what the situation is. What is the support level of the community? Any instances of misuse or theft of existing school property?
5. Status of USAID funds that were due to arrive in March 2010 (have asked these questions before, but worth the re-ask as it has been a while and things may have changed)
c. Still likely? What will they be used for? Why can’t they be used for building the computer lab?
d. Helpful to understand what kind of an impact we’re having – if USAID increases student enrollment the lab will have a greater impact and the cost/beneficiary will be lower

Thanks,
Faris
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Initial Diligence Request List Reply with quote

Team,

As part of our first phase of diligence, below are the main questions that we would try to address before our First Project Call on February 21 2010.

Project SWS / AIE
02/02/10
Ahmed Makani (PTL), Hajra Rizvi (PE), Momin Khan (PE)

Project: Set up of a Computer Lab in Noor Lakhan School of Katch Area (“Project SWS”)
Location: Government Elementary School Noor Lakhan, Village Noor Lakhan, Union
Council Bhagu Droo, Taluka Ghotki, District Ghotki Sindh Pakistan

DD Questions
Objective:
We would like to better understand the scope of this project to evaluate its social and economic return.
1. Does AIE have any prior experience in designing and teaching syllabi for a rudimentary computer course?
a. Could you please provide us with an outline of computer courses / programs that AIE has taught to students before?
2. What percentage of students from Noor Lakhan School apply for further education?
3. What kinds of opportunities are available to the people of Noor Lakhan that will use the ability to “emailing, scanning, printing, word processing.” etc? Examples would help.
a. What percentage of graduating students from Noor Lakhan move to urban centers to look for jobs?
b. Is it socially acceptable to families to have their children migrate to cities to look for jobs?
4. Does the village have access to internet? If not, how does AIE aim to teach the students its usage?
5. Can a computer teacher be retained for a year on a Rs.8,000/month salary? Has AIE already identified a teacher willing to move / commute to Noor Lakhan?
a. If hiring a teacher ends up costing a lot more, has SWS/AIE made any contingency plans to cover that additional cost?
b. Who will pay for the teacher after the first year? Explain how you plan to sustain this project and keep the computer lab functional beyond the first year?
6. What is the status of USAID funding that SWS expected to receive in March 2010? What is the amount that you expect to get from USAID and what do you plan to use it for?

Objective:
We would like to understand the unit cost economics of this project and the details behind cost estimates. We also wanted to gauge your interest in exploring alternative building techniques

1. Can you give us the contact number of the contractor who gave you the estimate of constructing the room?
a. Can one of the current rooms be utilized as a computer room?
b. If a new room is absolutely necessary, can there be cost savings by converting one of the existing rooms into a computer lab and making another room with more cost efficient techniques ?
c. Have you explored the possibility of making the room multi-purpose?
2. How long will the construction phase take using conventional building materials?
a. Have you contacted large cement companies to assist by donating some of the building material i.e. Lucky or DG Khan cement may agree to provide free of cost cement for this project?
3. Do you have any particular preference towards choosing conventional building techniques over alternative building methods?
4. Have you explored alternative building techniques such as Porta Cabin/metallic container, Fiberglass or straw bale shelters?
a. If yes, please provide us with the feasibility of a suitable alternative that satisfies the requirements of the planned structure? (See Appendix A for information on fiberglass shelters used during the earthquake and usage of straw bale for similar projects in Pakistan)
b. If no, are you willing to consider using other low cost alternatives? (Straw bale building technique could be a suitable and cost efficient alternative and has been used in Pakistan before).
5. Can the proposed size of the room be reduced from the current 20x15 sqft requirement? What are the sizes of other class rooms in the facility?
6. Explain the components of installation charges of PKR20,000? Does this cover charges for installing software on the computers?
7. Is there a reason for excluding transportation costs from the budget?
8. Would there be a need for electric stabilizers for the computers? If yes, can you quantify the associated cost?
9. What is the load shedding situation in Noor Lakhan? How many hour s per day does the village have electricity?
10. Do you anticipate any security costs?
a. How high is the risk of theft? How will you reduce/mitigate this risk?
b. Have there been any instances of misuse or theft of existing school property?

Objective:
We would like to get a better sense of the measurability of success for this project. This will help us assess the impact this project will have on the people of the village.
1. Does SWS / AIE have any metrics in mind to measure the success of this project?
a. How many students will be finishing 8th grade from NLS over the next three years?
b. Is it possible to monitor increased enrollment of Noor Lakhan graduates in higher secondary schools?
2. What jobs have NLS graduates taken up after graduating from NLS? What percentage of students elect to work in the fields with their family?
3. Does SWS/AIE have ability to monitor job placements of their graduates?
4. Of the 175 students currently at NLS, how many are in grade 6th, 7th and 8th? How frequently will they be taught computer courses?
5. Has SWS explored the possibility of imparting computer training to young adults (between ages of 16 to 25) who are not studying at NLS but can perhaps benefit more than students in grade 2 to 5?
6. Can SWS utilize the computers for any additional commercial or social use?

Objective:
We would like to understand the sustainability of the project. The following questions will help us determine if the project can be effectively monitored and sustained.
1. Who will pay for maintenance/ upgrade of computers and teacher salary beyond the first year?
2. How will SWS / AIE ensure a good quality teacher will be available on a sustainable basis?
3. You mentioned in your proposal that the computer literacy project will be expanded to other SWS schools. How do you plan to fund that expansion?
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Communication with NGO SWS Reply with quote

Dear all,

I wanted to update you on my phone conversation with Qaiser Abbas and additions to the initial DD list.

I had a lengthy discussion with Qaiser Abbas and we discussed the following:
1. DD and Project timeline - He requested that we try to speed up the process and he would give us his full cooperation in expediting the process. I told him that I will discuss the timeline with the team and see what we can do to compress the timeline.
2. Alternative Building techniques - He volunteered to look into the possibility of using "Porta Cabins". Qaiser has had the experience of using such cabins in the past (Engro had set up Porta Cabins as makeshift living arrangements for its employees). He will get back to us with specifics. Encouraging sign was that he was open to exploring low cost alternatives.
3. AIE maintains a metric of students who graduate on to higher level studies and will provide the same.
4. Site visit - Qaiser mentioned that a site visit can be arranged easily and he stressed that ADP use this opportunity. ADP volunteer(s) can tag along with AIE auditors from Lahore - auditors visit the site every month.
5. He prefers responding to queries via email. However, if need be, we can arrange a conference call with Hajra, myself and AIE/SWS.
6. I told them that we will send the DD questions list by tomorrow. I can send it today - I will wait till 9pm Dubai to receive any further comments from either of you.
Overall, the discussion was very positive.Qaiser seems very accommodating and is determined to make this project a success.
thanks,
Momin.
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: contact info of SWS and AIE Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Nayyar,

I hope this email finds you well. We look forward to working with you on this engagement. My colleague, Hajra Rizvi (copied on this email) will liaison with AIE on the due diligence process.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Momin
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Qaisar Abbas <qabbas@engro.com> wrote:
Email is being forwarded to Dr. Nayyar. (nayyar@aie.edu.pk)

P.S. Dr. Amir Said has been transferred & Dr. A.H.Nayyar has joined as new Director of Ali Institute of Education.

Regards
Qaisar Abbas
Project Coordinator
Sahara Welfare Society
+92-332-4107119
qaisarabbas9002@gmail.com
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: SWS Response to Diligence Questions - 15th February 2010 Reply with quote

Salaam Everyone,

First of all, I would like to regret the delay in responding to the answers of DD inquiries as I was on vacations in entire last week. Appreciate your patience.

Please find our comprehensive comments (blue font) against each question in attached file. Most of the queries were already answered during first screening conducted by Faaris. If you have any other inquire or require further details, please let us know.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Warm Regards
Qaisar Abbas
Project Coordinator
Sahara Welfare Society
+92-332-4107119

DD Questions
Objective:
We would like to better understand the scope of this project to evaluate its social and economic return.
1. Does AIE have any prior experience in designing and teaching syllabi for a rudimentary computer course?
No! AIE has not any prior experience in designing and teaching syllabi for computer course. Actually, AIE is a teacher training institute. It offers different courses including computer education for pre-service and in-service teachers only. You can approach AIE through www.aie.edu.pk to know its activities.
a. Could you please provide us with an outline of computer courses / programs that AIE has taught to students before?
AIE has not taught computer course before. Reference to our discussed with Faaris earlier, SWS / AIE will adapt and implement the course outline to be provided by ADP based on its successful experience with another NGO (Ibtida ) in Nilore primary school, Islamabad.
2. What percentage of students from Noor Lakhan School apply for further education?
Almost 100% of students apply for further education in different schools. Currently, first graduating batch of Noor Lakhan School is class 10th.
3. What kinds of opportunities are available to the people of Noor Lakhan that will use the ability to “emailing, scanning, printing, word processing.” etc? Examples would help.
1- Basic computer education will serve as Foundation for students in their matriculation classes (9th & 10th) where there is a compulsory subject of Computer (devised by Govt in its new education policy).
2- Job opportunities will also be brightened with computer literacy in areas of district Ghotki.

a. What percentage of graduating students from Noor Lakhan move to urban centers to look for jobs?
First graduating batch of Noor Lakhan School is class 10th. None of the student has opted for any Job.

b. Is it socially acceptable to families to have their children migrate to cities to look for jobs?
Yes, it is acceptable for the families that their children go to other cities for jobs or further education. Some of the families are already working in Karachi and Sukkur.
4. Does the village have access to internet? If not, how does AIE aim to teach the students its usage?
The village has access to internet facility through PTCL V-Wireless.

5. Can a computer teacher be retained for a year on a Rs.8, 000/month salary? Has AIE already identified a teacher willing to move / commute to Noor Lakhan?
Yes! A computer teacher can be retained for a year on a Rs. 8,000/month salary. SWS already contacted some people to hire as a computer teacher. As soon as project gets approved, a computer teacher will be hired and arranged to run the course outlines. SWS has a good record of teachers' retention in katcha because of community support in terms of providing food, accommodation, security and agricultural goods. SWS also gives travel facilities to these teachers.
a. If hiring a teacher ends up costing a lot more, has SWS/AIE made any contingency plans to cover that additional cost?
No contingency plan exists because SWS realizes that hiring a teacher at 8000/ month is not an issue in Katcha. Anyhow, SWS is responsible to bear any additional cost incurred for teacher’s salary.

b. Who will pay for the teacher after the first year? Explain how you plan to sustain this project and keep the computer lab functional beyond the first year?
SWS will pay for the teacher after the first year. Also, community of NLS is bearing all the maintenance cost of school. We are expecting that community will also put its share in providing food, accommodation, security and agricultural goods as far as we prove its utility and value for the community. We are hoping a sustainable function of computer lab after the first year in this way.
6. What is the status of USAID funding that SWS expected to receive in March 2010? What is the amount that you expect to get from USAID and what do you plan to use it for?
As already discussed with Faaris / Momin, SWS has submitted a funding proposal to USIP (United States of Peace) for infrastructure development in all the six shelter-less schools of Katcha and two additional class rooms & one science lab room (for matriculation level) for Noor lakhan School. The result of USIP fund will be announced in end March 2010. So far, USIP neither shared the status of our proposal nor contacted us for any clarification / evaluation. Therefore, we are not hopeful from this funding. In case, our proposal approves, we anticipate that the donor would be more interested in funding for shelter-less schools instead of sheltered school of Noor Lakhan.

Objective:
We would like to understand the unit cost economics of this project and the details behind cost estimates. We also wanted to gauge your interest in exploring alternative building techniques

1. Can you give us the contact number of the contractor who gave you the estimate of constructing the room?
Muneer Somorro +92-301-3837527
The Contractor has a rich experience in civil construction and he has worked for SWS for many years. Existing class rooms of Noor Lakhan school were also constructed by Muneer.

a. Can one of the current rooms be utilized as a computer room?
No. Currently school has no spare room. Noor lakhan has already facing shortage of class rooms. One class is studying without shelter and four classes are sharing two rooms.
b. If a new room is absolutely necessary, can there be cost savings by converting one of the existing rooms into a computer lab and making another room with more cost efficient techniques ?
SWS appreciates the idea and has no objection in doing so. But considering geographical conditions of Katcha area (situated at riverine belt of Indus), it must be noted that noor lakhan used to experience Flood on almost yearly basis. Foundations of existing class rooms were also built at some height of 5 ft from ground level to mitigate this issue. With this preview, we believe that a proper civil construction is necessary. A site visit of building expert would help to evaluate and assess the feasibility and durability of room making with cost efficient material / technique.
c. Have you explored the possibility of making the room multi-purpose?
No. We have not explored in this direction. We understand that a room with computers & computer tables, can not be made multi-purpose. Sahara would be pleased to adapt the ideas of ADP (if any) for utilizing the room for any other purpose.
2. How long will the construction phase take using conventional building materials?
Based on timely availability of funds / resources, construction & finishing of a room will take almost a month to complete with conventional building material. This time line seems a bit long because all the construction material will has to be purchased and shifted from nearby urban cities (Sukhur / Rahim Yar Khan) to Katcha by the contractor.
a. Have you contacted large cement companies to assist by donating some of the building material i.e. Lucky or DG Khan cement may agree to provide free of cost cement for this project?
No. We have not contacted any cement company. If ADP can provide contact details of cement companies, we may request them to convince on donating their material in this charity.
3. Do you have any particular preference towards choosing conventional building techniques over alternative building methods?
Considering geographical conditions of Katcha area (situated at riverine belt of Indus), it must be noted that noor lakhan used to experience Flood on almost yearly basis. Foundations of existing class rooms were also built at some height of 5 ft from ground level to mitigate this issue. With this preview, we believe that a proper civil construction is necessary.

4. Have you explored alternative building techniques such as Porta Cabin/metallic container, Fiberglass or straw bale shelters?
After discussion with Momin, we have explored the alternate techniques. Although Port Cabins are available as ready-made but these are quite expensive (around 800K) as compared to conventional civil construction of same dimensions. On fiberglass & straw bale shelters, durability and compatibility with geographical conditions are the concerning issue, Also, expertise in later techniques are not available in locality of noor lakhan.
a. If yes, please provide us with the feasibility of a suitable alternative that satisfies the requirements of the planned structure? (See Appendix A for information on fiberglass shelters used during the earthquake and usage of straw bale for similar projects in Pakistan)
In preview of above para, we believe that Civil Constriction is the best and probably the most suitable option to adapt.
b.If no, are you willing to consider using other low cost alternatives? (Straw bale building technique could be a suitable and cost efficient alternative and has been used in Pakistan before).
Why not. SWS will be always appreciative of any ideas / alternates from ADP in cost cutting as far as durability and suitability are ensured by the construction material experts.
5.Can the proposed size of the room be reduced from the current 20x15 sqft requirement? What are the sizes of other class rooms in the facility?
Probably can not. 20x15 sqft is the average and suitable size for a room to be served as Computer Lab. Additionally, attached veranda of 20x6 is the recommended construction with the room to suite with geographical conditions. Other class rooms of the schools are of almost similar sizes (to be exact as 18x14 sqft with verandas of 18x7 sqft).
6. Explain the components of installation charges of PKR20,000? Does this cover charges for installing software on the computers?
Actually, a lump sump amount of PKR 20K as Installation Charges includes software installation & commissioning of computers.

7. Is there a reason for excluding transportation costs from the budget?
Sahara will bear the transportation cost within the district as it already bears these expenses as operating cost for entire education setup in Katcha program.
8. Would there be a need for electric stabilizers for the computers? If yes, can you quantify the associated cost?
No. Stabilizers are not required as far as we install 02 UPS (already mentioned in proposed budget). UPS supersedes the requirement of a stabilizer as it gives power storage as well as built-in controller / regulator against electrical fluctuations.
9. What is the load shedding situation in Noor Lakhan? How many hour s per day does the village have electricity?
Load shedding is between 5 to 7 hours in Noor Lakhan with a planned schedule.

10. Do you anticipate any security costs?
No. There is no need of security cost. Our katcha programs are being run thru community involvement and therefore locals of Noor Lakhan take care of security issues.
a. How high is the risk of theft? How will you reduce/mitigate this risk?
There is absolutely no risk of any theft of school resources. Community involvement is the key in bringing the required ownership for security of infrastructure & assets.
b. Have there been any instances of misuse or theft of existing school property?
Although school has no concrete boundary wall, even then there is not even a single example of misuse or theft of existing school property / resources since commissioning of educational interventions by SWS & AIE.

Objective:
We would like to get a better sense of the measurability of success for this project. This will help us assess the impact this project will have on the people of the village.
1. Does SWS / AIE have any metrics in mind to measure the success of this project?
No. As already mentioned, SWS / AIE has not prior experience of running computer literacy program. But we would be appreciative if ADP can help us out and share matrices to measure the project success owing to have its experience with Ibtidaa (Nilore School).
a. How many students will be finishing 8th grade from NLS over the next three years?
About 50 students will pass 8th grade from NLS over the next three years.

b. Is it possible to monitor increased enrollment of Noor Lakhan graduates in higher secondary schools?
Yes, it is possible to monitor increased enrollment. SWS has already established this practice for all schools with the help and monitoring of AIE.
2. What jobs have NLS graduates taken up after graduating from NLS? What percentage of students elect to work in the fields with their family?
This is the first and the only school for Noor Lakhan community in this area. First batch of NLS is currently studying in class 10th in other schools. Almost 100% graduates are studying for further education. But after this project, they would have the opportunities to start their job if they require.
3. Does SWS/AIE have ability to monitor job placements of their graduates?
Yes, SWS / AIE have the ability to monitor & assist job placement of their graduates. Sahara has also another program for skill and capacity building of youngsters at Daharki.
4. Of the 175 students currently at NLS, how many are in grade 6th, 7th and 8th? How frequently will they be taught computer courses?
Current numbers are given as:
Name of school Number of Teachers K.G One Two Three Four Fifth Sixth Seventh Eight Total
Noor Lakhan 6 55 36 34 25 12 16 16 16 18 273
Computer courses / program will be implemented in such a way to utilize the lab to its full capacity.

5. Has SWS explored the possibility of imparting computer training to young adults (between ages of 16 to 25) who are not studying at NLS but can perhaps benefit more than students in grade 2 to 5?
There are no more than 5 to 8 literate persons / young adults available in Noor Lakhan. So there is no use of running of “computer literacy course”. In stead there is a need of “adult literacy program” for young adults.

6. Can SWS utilize the computers for any additional commercial or social use?
Commercial use is probably not possible in Katcha area. Rather we can utilize the same computer lab in part time for teachers of all schools of Katcha for their awareness and capacity building.

Objective:
We would like to understand the sustainability of the project. The following questions will help us determine if the project can be effectively monitored and sustained.

1. Who will pay for maintenance/ upgrade of computers and teacher salary beyond the first year?
SWS will pay all the maintenance / upgrade of computer and teacher salary as part of operating expenses in a similar fashion as it runs all its projects with the spirit of sustainability & continuity.

2. How will SWS / AIE ensure a good quality teacher will be available on a sustainable basis?
SWS with the help of AIE (being the teacher trading institute) monitors the quality of teachers. Again community involvement plays a key role in accountability & retention of teachers on sustainable basis.

3. You mentioned in your proposal that the computer literacy project will be expanded to other SWS schools. How do you plan to fund that expansion?
Currently, we are building NLS as a model and standard for other schools. We provided shelter and higher educational level (elementary) to NLS on priority basis. With collaboration of other local / foreign NGOs / donors, SWS has a plan to provide similar computer literacy project in other schools in future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Approved All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: