Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

The Care's Handpump Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khurram Owais Shah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: The Care's Handpump Project Reply with quote

Project Team: Ahmed Makani (team lead), Momin Ali Khan, Shireen Lakhani\
EC: Saad Hasan, Faris Rahman
Project: Handpump installation in district Sanghar
Partner NGO: The Khippro Care Foundation
Saad Hasan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great call guys, good luck on the gating items diligence, and let us know if you have any questions. We will follow up and see if anyone has experience with The Care/hand pumps.

Also, can you please post all docs (such as the combined DD list) to forum for record keeping?

Thanks!
Saad
Faris Rahman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Project kick-off thoughts prior to our first call Reply with quote

These are my initial thoughts based on reading through the materials sent thusfar. I will email to the team as well since I think the formatting is clearer that way.

1. NGO credibility and ability to execute (GETS AT IMPACT AND SUSTAINABILITY). Particularly important for this project because they are small (revenues from past year were PKR 612,965) and therefore:
a. Would be helpful to see their financials
b. Understand the relative proportions of their donor base (e.g. (i) What is the membership base (ii) they say some of their funds are donated from the community – does this mean the villagers in question here or some other community? (iii) what is income from services?)
c. Gauge the success of the projects they have undertaking since inception in 1999
i. The proposal didn’t have project level detail. Have they only done water pumps or have they undertaken other projects?
d. Would be helpful to conduct DD on the NGO through
i. Speaking to all listed references
ii. Trying to get a sense for market opinion on the NGO through other sources
iii. Project team forming own judgment on NGO based on their interactions
2. Are hand pumps the best solution? (IS THIS THE BEST USE OF FUNDS / HIGH SOCIAL RETURN)
a. What do the villagers currently do for water? How do they purify the water?
b. Will installing the pumps = useable water? From the email from Mr. Kunbhar, it sounds like it is fit for human consumptions as per WHO standards.
c. What are the alternative technologies to hand pumps (e.g. wells)? Are they more effective? More sustainable?
d. Unit cost per pump / Budget?
i. PKR 2,865 sounds high, but I don’t have a great sense. We should verify this quote and see what market price is.
ii. Installation of PKR 1230/pump also sounds high. What does installation cost include if there is a separate line item for Labor cost/transport of PKR 800/pump
e. Unit impact per pump
i. PKR 4886 / 3 or 4 (families) = We are spending PKR 1,222 – PKR 1,629 on improving drinking water access per family. Say the average family is 5 people (we should confirm this), we are spending PKR 244 – PKR 236 per person. Seems pretty good/reasonable to me.
3. Project execution / implementation / reporting (GETS AT IMPACT)
a. Is 100 hand pumps in 3 villages the right pump density?
i. What is the 10,800 people number?
1. Just women and children? Or is it the total population of the three villages?
2. What is average family size? Even better, exactly how many families are there? Assuming it is 5/family, that means we are benefitting 2,160 families
ii. What quantities will the pumps be deployed in, in each of the 3 villages? Confirm it is proportionate to population size.
iii. How will the pump site locations be selected?
b. If the pumps will be installed in 20-25 days, why will it take 3 months for the project to be completed?
c. Do we think another month is an acceptable amount of time to complete progress reporting?
4. How do you measure success? (MEASURABILITY)
a. Don’t think that clean water necessarily = success. Think we actually need to have some sort of metric to track how the quality of life of villages improves post pump installation.
i. e.g. Average income in the village before and after pump installation
ii. e.g. What proportion of time do women/children spend focused on obtaining clean drinking water post implementation (prior they have stated 75%, which we would need to confirm as well). Also, what are women/children doing with the additional time they have
iii. e.g. incidence of anemia and weakness in population before and after pump installation
b. Please clarify on how/why one of the project goals is to “conserve the environment and protect the local livestock”
5. SUSTAINABILITY
a. I generally feel pretty unclear on the monitoring plan
b. Who will be on the VSC? How will this be chosen? How do we safeguard that no money gets skimmed from the monthly collections? We are dealing with large sums of money here, so always the risk of foul play. Would we consider putting an ADP member on the VSC or some other monitoring capacity?
c. PKR 30/family/month * (assuming 2,160 families) = PKR 64,800/month total revenue collection = PKR 777,600/year – this is a substantial sum of money, so either I have the average family size dramatically wrong, or this project pays for itself within 8 months! (Even if you assume 8 people per family, project payback is 1 year) Definitely don’t think you need to make this much in collections for maintenance. Also, can the local population afford PKR 30/month? If they can, what is the intended use of surplus funds – if it is to fund additional projects in other villages, then that makes this project really great as there is a self-funding and scaling mechanism. Not sure how the villagers would feel about funding/benefitting other villages though?
d. How far is the project site from Karachi? (GETS AT HOW OFTEN AN ADP VOLUNTEER COULD MAKE SITE VISITS TO MONITOR THE PROJECT)
e. How do they intend to deal with families that refuse to pay the PKR 30/month? If they don’t, does this make the entire project completely unsustainable?
f. Is it equitable to demand PKR 30 from each family even if one has 4 members, while another has 10 members? How will the villagers feel about this (THIS IS MORE AN EXECUTION QUESTION)
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Due Diligence List for Project "The Care" shallow Reply with quote

Please find attached the diligence questions the team discussed in its first couple of calls. A condensed version of the below was sent to "The Care" and the team is following up with the NGO.

Date: 10th November 2009

Project: Hand pumps installation scheme for community drinking water supply
Location: 3 villages in District Sanghar: Khoh Gapni, Meherwari, Ghendillin (villages in Thar Desert)

DD Questions
Objective:
Please provide CV/brief background of The Care senior management, mention any past or current affiliations with other social welfare organizations. Additionally, we would like to understand specific projects you have undertaken in the past and how those were implemented (from funding to execution and sustainability). This would help us better understand how you have used funds in the past and what impact did your projects have. To help us achieve this objective please provide:
1. Detailed financials for the last three years
2. Describe the projects that The Care has undertaken and completed since 1999
a. Please provide details (cost, funding, implementation, maintenance details) for at least [2??] projects you have completed in the past
Objective:
You mentioned three specific sources of funds for The Care in your proposal 1.)membership base 2.)funds from community 3.)income from services. We would like to get a better sense of each of these categories and how much does each source contribute.
1. Help us understand your membership base
a. Who are your members?
b. What is your membership base (i.e. number of members)
c. How much have you collected from membership base (in PK Rs) in 2007, 2008 and 2009 (to date)
2. What does “funds from community” mean?
a. Please specify who are the members of the community?
b. How much has the community contributed (in Pak Rs.) to The Care in 2007, 2008 and 2009(to date)
3. Help us understand “Income from Services”?
a. What income generating services does The Care undertake?
b. How much of your revenue (in Pak Rs) was from “income from services” in 2007, 2008 and 2009 (to date)
Objective:
We want to understand if hand pumps are an appropriate solution to the scarce water problem.
1. What do the villagers currently do for water? How do they purify the water?
2. Have you installed hand pumps in this area before?
a. What type of hand pump are you planning to install?
b. How complicated is it to install a hand pump? Does it require electrical equipment? Do the villages have electricity?
c. Is the water table high enough for the hand pump to work?
d. How long does it take for the water table to drop below the reach of the hand pump i.e. what is the life of a hand pump
3. How often does a hand pump needs to be checked for maintenance?
a. What sort of maintenance/repair does a hand pump require?
b. Who will perform the maintenance?
4. Please provide the evaluation from the lab which certified that the water samples from the three villages are fit for human consumption according to WHO standards
Objective:
We would like to understand the unit cost economics of this project and the details behind cost estimates.
1. How much does a hand pump cost?
2. Explain the components of installation costs (PKR 123,000 total)?
a. What materials need to be purchased to install a hand pump?
b. Number of people required to install a hand pump
c. Time required to install a hand pump
3. How is installation cost different from Labor/transportation cost (PKR 80,000 total)?
a. Where will the pumps be transported from?
b. Where will pumps be stored? Any storage costs?
c. How will pump site locations be selected?
4. Labor cost to be covered from “Community contribution”. What “community” does this refer to?

Objective:
We would like to get a better sense of the measurability of success for this project. This will help us assess the impact this project will have on the people of the three villages.
1. How many families are living in each of the three villages and what is the average family size?
a. Of the total 10,800 people in the three villages, how many are in each village?
b. If each pump will benfit 3-4 families (assuming an average family size of 5 ppl.), the total number of people directly impacted by the installation of 100 hand pumps is 1,500-2,000. Please clarify how 10,800 people will directly benefit from this facility?
c. Will hand pumps benefit all the families in the villages? How many families will benefit?
d. What percentage of total population are women and children?
2. In what proportion will the 100 pumps be divided among the three villages?
3. What is the average income per household in each of the three villages?
a. Any impact on average income due to pump installation?
4. Please clarify on how/why one of the project goals is to “conserve the environment and protect the local livestock”

Objective:
We would like to understand the sustainability of the project. The following questions will help us determine if the project can be effectively monitored and sustained.
1. Who will be on the VSC?
2. What is the total amount per month that the VSC can collect for maintenance from each family?
a. What is the collection mechanism?
b. What is the opportunity cost of paying PKR 30/month for maintenance? Where else could that money have been spent?
c. Can VSC ensure payment from every family? What if families refuse to pay monthly maintenance charge?
d. Monitoring and reporting of funds collected?
3. How far is the project site from Karachi?
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Follow-up with "The Care" Reply with quote

The team tried to reach out to both the NGO reps and the references provided by the NGO. There are major concerns about the credibility of the NGO (unresponsive, outdated / wrong references etc.)

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Shireen <shireen.s.lakhani@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

So I called all three of the references. The last one is a wrong number ... the second one I wasn't able to get through to (maybe it was turned off) and I'll go ahead and email the first reference. I'll keep at it. I think we may want to ask for updates on references (both numbers and email address, if available) since this is a bit old.

Shireen
Ahmed Makani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Follow-up on "The Care" Reply with quote

"The Care" has not been very cooperative thus far. Below is the email exchange we have had with the NGO thus far:

Dear Mr. Kunbhar,

I appreciate your response and totally understand your concerns regarding the due diligence process and related questions.

Our main objective is to understand the nature of the project and needs of its beneficiaries so that ADP, in collaboration with the NGO, can help serve the community on a reoccurring basis and not just on one project only. In the past, we have collaborated with many NGO's and have successfully raised funding for similar projects. As a result, these NGO's work with us on a continuous basis due to our professional approach, a strong network of donors and our ability to execute in a timely manner.

I would request you to work with us as partners so that we can bring about a sustainable change in District Sanghar's community of residents. Please let us know If you require additional time or assistance with answering some of the questions and as your partners we would be obliged to accommodate you accordingly.

We greatly appreciate your efforts in trying to improve the standard of living of these people and we hope to play a part in the hand pumps installation initiative for the residents of Khoh Gapni, Meherwari and Ghendillin villages. I have copied our Project Team leader, Ahmed Makani as well on this email to respond to any process related questions that you may have.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Momin Khan

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM, thecare_khipro sindh <thecare_khipro@yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Momin Khan Date:10th Nobember,2009.
From ADP.

Thank you for your email dated 10th November, 2009 with a bundle of new questions.

Our organization The Care is a small organization working with community, We requested to ADP for contribute a little amount for our proposed project, but we don’t knew to your this long and difficult process and dozen of questions every day. So we are unable to fulfill your requirements. In this crucial condition, we are not interested for funding from ADP for our proposed project. So please be closed our project file and don’t connect us in this regard.

With best regards,

Sincerely

M. A Kunbhar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Under Review All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: