Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Sustainable Livelihood Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Sustainable Livelihood Project Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Here are the details of the Livelihood Project I received yesterday. My understanding is that the Virginia Chapter is interested in taking this one.

Overall, it is a very interesting project as it looks to provide widows with permanent source of income vs them depending on charity and handouts. Some concerns around the budget are the high cost per family. One good resource for us to evaluate would be contacting a local Heifer Internation person and getting their opinion. They are very experience in setting up such projects and would have good insights.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference No. EHD/LHP/001 Dated the, 4th August, 2006

To: Mahjabeen Wasim

Subject: LIVELIHOOD PROGRAM FOR EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS NATHGARAN AND CHAKOTHI
20 FAMILIES (PHASE – 1)
Dear Madam,

I feel pleasure to introduce Education Health & Development (EHD) Foundation. We are a no profit no loss Non-Government Organization (NGO) committed to improving the quality of life of residents of villages and slums that surround our cities. The Foundation is registered under the Trust Acts 1882 by the Joint Sub-Registrar, Islamabad, Pakistan since September 2002. During the past three and a half years EHD has contributed in the following fields: -

a). Bored for water and installed hand-pumps in 200 different localities. Hand-pumps are installed in areas, where people do not have access to clean drinking water.
b). Last year EHD set up 54 one-day medical camps in different localities.
c). At present, EHD is operating 15 schools in katchi abadis in and around Islamabad.
d). EHD also has a Physiotherapy Center for Rehabilitation of the handicapped in Gilgit.
e). Working for earthquake victims to provide them basic necessities of life, i.e. providing with shelter, tents, clothes, food and clean water. 105 villages were provided with tents and 105 trucks of food. 71 villages were provided with shelter, where 2373 shelter houses were made using 23730 CGI sheets.

2. As a result of the earthquake, where nature has played a dreadful game with innocent citizens, some family members are left behind helpless. Many widows and senior citizens were identified by EHD Foundation, who have lost their earners. A total of 70 such families have been identified in different areas, while in Phase – 1, we have 20 families from Nathgaran and Chakothi to be looked after.

3. A calculation has been made that represents expenditure of each family i.e. about Rs. 2,000/= per month.

S. No. Description Amount in Pak Rupees
1 Atta 500
2 Rice 100
3 Daal 50
4 Vegetables They are expected to grow own vegetables
5 Meat 700
6 Condiments 100
7 Medicines 150
8 Electricity 100
9 Miscellaneous 300
Total 2000

4. Our aim is to help these widows and senior citizens, but to provide each family with this amount every month is not possible. So EHD Foundation has developed a plan by which these families can earn their living by themselves forever.

5. According to the plan each family will be provided with one male and five female goats and one male and ten female chickens. Cost for each family for first year is as follows : -

S. No. Description Per Family
(Amount in Pak Rupees) 20 Families
(Amount in Pak Rupees)
1 Cost of Goats 40,000 800,000
2 Cost of Chicken 2500 50,000
3 Carriage 7500 150,000
4 Cost of veterinary care 2500 50,000
5 Supervisor Cost 2000 per month 24000
6 Foundation Overheads 1500 per month 18000
Total 71,700 1,092,000

6. Cost for 20 families is Rs. 1,092,000/=

7. Annual earning of each unit will be as follows : -

S. No. Description Qty Amount in Pak Rupees
1 6 months old goats 8 @ Rs. 4,000 per head 32000
2 Eggs for 350 days 4 eggs @ Rs. 4 per egg 5600
Total 37,600
3100/= per month approx.

8. By this way each family would be able to earn Rs. 3100 per month, which is enough for their living. Besides each family will return EHD Foundation with 1 goat annually of age 6 months. These goats will be again distributed among targeted deserving families the year after.

9. In Phase – 1, 20 such families are entertained which costs Rs. 1,092,000/=

10. It will be appreciated if the above plan should be implemented soon so as to facilitate the foundation in accomplishment of its planned objectives.

11. Looking for favourable action at your end.

Yours Sincerely,

Shameelah R. Balkhi

Livelihood_Program.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Livelihood_Program.doc
 Filesize:  45.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1138 Time(s)

Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mahjabeen!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

ADP - VA is going to take this one on. Hopefully in our next meeting we can make significant progress in deciding how to go forward with this project.

best,

Khurram
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: List of questions to be sent to EHD Reply with quote

Here is a list of questions that ADP-VA will be sending to EHD.

Please comment if you like in the next 24 hours; after that the questions will be sent out as is.

best,

Khurram

Questions for Livelihood Program
1) The cost of feed does not seem to be included in the proposal.
a. How much is feed expected to cost and at what distance from the two villages can it be found?
b. If feed easily available?
c. Is feed availability cyclical or year round? Are there times of the year when it will be impossible to get feed for these animals?
d. Might it be beneficial to focus on one of the two villages where feed is more readily available?

2) Is there a reason why the program must start out with 20 families (some sort of economies of scale)? It seems to us that it make more sense to test with 5 families, and once other potential issues have been identified, to scale the project to 20 families.

3) On what basis were the families that EHD has selected chosen? What is the size, structure and age of these families?
a. ADP’s suggestion would be to breakdown the families in the villages into two groups: the extremely needy (i.e., the old, the disabled, and widows, and everyone else), and then have a lottery to decide the order in which such families will be helped through this project. It is important to make sure that no ill will is harbored within the villages towards these families, so that no one presents road blocks in the way of this project.

4) How big are the villages of Nathgaran and Chakothi?

5) What are the expected mortality rates of the animals within the first year? The veterinarian probably can shed more light on this.

6) Is there a market for the meat and the eggs and as we scale up, will this market continue to exist? Is there a city nearby? If not, then who will buy these eggs and meat while the villages are in bad shape? What is the vicinity of the closest city?

7) In the list of costs for each family:

a. Is carriage the process of actually getting the animals to the location? If so, wouldn’t we realize economies of scale with size or will it cost the same per unit regardless of the number we send?

b. What will the duties of the supervisor entail?

c. Is it possible for the veterinarian to conduct training classes to teach the people with the animals how to monitor them for common issues, rather than make multiple trips? Would it be possible to hold training sessions? What kind of additional costs might this entail?

d. Our understanding is that foundation overheads would be fixed costs rather than variable costs. But it seems that the costs will increase per-family; we are not sure what kind of costs would increase by family, for the foundation. Can you elaborate please?

Cool Can some light be shed on the reproduction cycles of goats and chickens by the veterinarian. If one reproduce more often than the other, would it not make sense to go forward with more of that animal?

9) Depending on the reproduction cycle, how many goats will the families keep and how many will be handed back to EHD per year?
a. Maybe it would make more sense to put the onus of ‘wealth distribution’ on the families directly, i.e., once the lottery list is completed, one of every two kids (goat babies) must be given to the next family in line in the lottery list. We think that would be more efficient than goats coming back to EHD. We wanted you opinion on this tweak to the project.

10) What is the expected time frame to sustainability, i.e., after how many families do we expect people to start helping locals themselves through this system?

11) Have people looked into the model of the NGO, ‘Heifer’? The NGO does something similar for a living, and so we might be able to get a better idea from them as to how to proceed with this project.

12) Finally, is there a basis for the selected male to female ratio for goats and chickens? What is the thinking behind it?

13) SAFETY! How safe and protected are these villages and how common are things getting stolen?

Questions for Livelihood Program.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Questions for Livelihood Program.doc
 Filesize:  25 KB
 Downloaded:  977 Time(s)

Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good list Khurram. Might want to talk through some of it over the phone if possible, so as not to overwhelm them.
Nida Rizwan Farid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment/question might already have been raised and addressed behind-the-scenes, but it has been bothering me since I went through the project summary for Dastak.

The costs of the project mention Supervisor Costs and Foundation Overheads on a monthly basis. How long are these costs suppose to continue? Together they form Rs. 3500 per month per family of the total costs. If these costs are going to occur every month for years to come, then it seems a little strange that Rs. 3500 are being spent every month (not to mention the remaining Rs. 68,000 of fixed costs) to give income of only Rs. 3100.

Could someone clarify what is going on?

Thanks

Nida
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Correspodence with EHD Reply with quote

ALL:

Firstly, Nida thanks for looking into the cost issue. We had asked EHD for some information on what these costs were and whether they were fixed or variable costs, and they said they were costs calculated for 70 families; the first 20 families are the pilot and then they will scale up to 70 and that is what the costs are for.

We will work with them over the next week to figure out whether, and how, we may be able to allocate the costs wrt 20 families initially.

The rest of the questions are answered in the attachment below.

In summary, everything seems to have been thought of in great detail. The one thing ADP - VA suggested, and EHD agreed to incorporate into the project, was training for the involved families from the veterinarian. Interestingly, ADP - VA had also recommended the NGO, Heifer, to EHD for guidance on the project. The only difference EHD found in Heifer's plan and their's were the training sessions. recommended by ADP -VA.

The coming weekend, ADP - VA will be meeting to decide whether or not to bring this project to vote. If this project IS brought to vote, I hope to begin the vote a week from today.

If you do have time please take a second to read through the answers to our questions. We hope to chat with EHD on Thursday so please share any concerns you might have before then. Of course Nida's question will be discussed with them.

best,

Khurram K Jamali

Livelihood Answers.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Livelihood Answers.doc
 Filesize:  33.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1202 Time(s)

Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Last set of Answers from EHD Reply with quote

Everyone:

Attached is the last set of answers that we have from EHD. I believe Nida's questions, as well as any other outstanding questions have been addressed relatively thoroughly.

Unless anyone raises some serious red flags, I am hoping to put the Project to vote on Sunday; Omar, I will require your help doing so.

best,

Khurram

LivlihoodAnswers2.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LivlihoodAnswers2.doc
 Filesize:  29 KB
 Downloaded:  1137 Time(s)

Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two final pieces of information. Firstly the email below talks about the location of the 20 widows. It seems to be different from the location where the ADP-SF project will be funded.

The cost of the project comes to $18,200. This seems a lot for 20 families, but remember we are providing a means of living for the rest of their lives for those 20 families. Furthermore, we will also have a never ending supply from these families to redistribute amongst other deserving families.

The project will be put up for vote tomorrow unless anyone is looking for more specific information.

On 11/5/06, Shameelah Balkhi wrote:

The village in which these first 20 widows are located is called Nar and it
is close to Chakothi. There are widows in Nathgaran, which is the village
for which ADP-SF is funding hand-pumps. The reason that we believe Nar's
widows should be provided for first is because they are much further away,
at a higher altitude, where snowfall is very heavy and which becomes
inaccessible by road during winter. It is five and a half hours away from
Islamabad whereas Nathgaran is only two and a half hours away. Whenever
funding for Nathgaran comes in the animals can be taken to the village,
whereas for Nar we have only a small window left after which the roads will
get blocked by snow and while people may still walk to Nar animals cannot be
taken.

We can confirm that EHD does not have any religious affiliation as an NGO
and does not discriminate based on religion. In the katchi abadis of
Islamabad we have also worked in Christian populated areas.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khurram,

This is a pretty interesting project. A couple of questions as I read through all the materials you have posted.

1) Why isn't EHD just giving chickens?
I know you asked the question, but there response was not satisfactory. This is relevant because a) the ROI on chickens appears to be at least 2x more attractive than on goats, b) because the cost/animal is lower, the risk should be more diversified if an animal dies and c) they can use chickens for food more regularly. The only issue I can see is that you'd need 50+ chickens to get to the same income level, and those may be hard to manage.

2) Why are we doing 20 families and not 5?
EHD has never done this before, and I would be a lot more comfortable starting with $5k and committing more if the program is going as planned 12 months from now.

3) When is the absolute deadline to get EHD funds to be able to get the livestock to the families before snowfall?
I fear that we can't get there for at least another 14 days (7 days for voting, 7 for paperwork) and we end up being too late.

Thanks,
Tarim
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim,

Those are pretty good points.

1) Yes, the ROI on chickens is less but we feel that diversifying the animals that are given is pretty important. One of the major reasons for this is the bird flu virus. I know that it is not affecting the concerned area at this point, but according to the World Health Organization, a pandemic is not a question of if but a question of when. Having goats means that even worse-case scenario, at least some income will be retained. Furthermore, there is the additional benefits of goats milk. Also, goats are built for the terrain and so it would be relatively easy to maintain them. You also raised a good point in terms of how one would manage a large number of chickens. So all in all, I think EHD has a solid balance between goats and chickens.

2) I agree that the question of 5 families vs. 20 was not answered too well. In fact, when I put the questions up for vote, I will be putting up three questions, (i) Whethere we should fund the project for 20 familes, (ii) whether we should fund the project for five families and monitor the progress, and finally (iii) whether the initial project should only be funded if it is located in the same village as the ADP-SF project.

3) The absolute deadline is essentially Mid-November. If we get the funds to them by then, then they beleive they will still be able to get the animals to the respective families. I am hoping we can have the vote complete by next Friday and then work on the contract (if the project is passed,) over the weekend, and hence have the money sent by November 20th. I am hoping that will be good enough to get the animals to the village before winter hits.
Anwer Khan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khurram:

We were told by EHD that Natgaran is a few hours walk from the nearest market. Given that Nar is at a much higher altitude than Natgaran (and therefore further from the market) and the inaccessible roads during winter, how difficult would it be for these families to access the market (and earn a living)?

I'm still not sold on the urgency of this project. Are we funding to provide sustenance (during winter) or sustainable livelihood? Sale of goat kids provides the largest share of revenues to each family, but this revenue won't be realized for another six or seven months. So how would immedate funding and implementation help families in Nar? Also, on a purely economic basis, does this project have a better chance of success if implemented in Natgaran than in Nar?

Anwer
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anwer,

My understanding was that the village that we are funding is a few hours away rather than Nathgaran. Maybe we should seek clarification on that one question.

In economic terms, I believe the difference in the plausibility of funding widows in either village depends purely on the distance from the market.

I will seek clarification on that matter.

I am strongly leaning towards seeking to fund only 5 families initially and then reviewing the results.

Let me post Tarim and your questions to EHD for another round of Q's before we go to vote.

If anyone has any other questions, please try to post them by Sunday night.

Thanks guys! Laughing
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Khurram/Anwer for pulling this together. Here is my take on this project.

Can you find out we need 1 male to 5 female per family and whether we can start out with 1 male and 3 female goats? The monthly cost with that ratio comes to be Rs 2500 per month per family and we can support 20 families for ~US$ 11,000 . I am not in favor of running a pilot project with only 5 families mainly because that is too small a size. Lets say the goat multiplication model works in that village, which I think has fair chances since this is not an invention, do we then invest US$ 50,000 to scale it for the remaining 60 or so families? With 20 families as a start, it will make more sense for EHD to conduct regular visits to train these and future families on goat/chicken farming.

Lets start with 20 families (3 or 5 goats either way). If we have some confidence in EHD's plan then the whole village will get a good share of goats within 2 to 3 years. Also, I want to enable our partner NGO (EHD) and hence respect their decision of who they think are the needy families on the ground. Let them decide which 20 families in which village will receive animals. I am very confident if the goats multiply at a rate described to us then selling them will not be an obstacle.

Lastly, lets think about the role of this supervisor. A trained volunteer from EHD who will probably make a visit or two every month to this remote area. He will meet with these 20 families and gather data and draft reports. That is a lot of work for mere $40 a month !! Now that is what EHD is suggesting but being a volunteer organization ourselves, I would recommend increasing his monthly stipend of 2000 rupees (remember it takes just that to fulfill basic food requirements of a family) to at least 3000. I am not hard bent on this but want us to consider. This will also encourage him to make regular trips to the village.
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 goats reduces the income to each family to Rs. 2100 per month. Let's base the decision of 3 or 5 on whatever is enough to make a widow and her family self-sufficient. Khurram, would you mind asking EHD the question?

I personally am not comfortable dedicating $18k to an NGO that does not have experience implementing such a project. While you're right that this is not a radical innovation, execution/training/monitoring is important to assure success. There are enough risks that could make the project not go well (disease, theft, lack of goat rearing experience among the families, miscalculation of fertility rates or market prices, failure to convince families to continue the sharing model etc). If Heifer or some other NGO with experience were behind this, I'd feel differently.

Khurram, could you please ask EHD if they'd even want to do this for just 5 families? Is there no need in Nathgran, where they could share monitoring costs with the drinking water project?

Thanks,
Tarim
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, lets first ask EHD about scaling down the project to 5 families. I thought they chose 20 families specifically because they can manage it.

I think EHD has provided mitigation plans for the risks you have mentioned. Training is the biggest component which they are promising to introduce later in this project. Slection of right goats based on endurance and fertility rates, regular vet exams and a supervisor to montior/report progress are all embedded in this project. They have answered the theft and goat sharing concern as well.

20 families will also provide a better support network for each other where they can cross train each other. 20 families can also share the milk from these 100 goats with entire village.

I agree if Heifer would have approached us this would be a no brainer but then Heifer wont approach us. Our value comes in enabling smaller NGOs to execute a solid project (obviously not risk free). One of the aspects I am excited about this project is that if it succeeds, we would have enabled EHD to grow this into something big.

The reason I am uncomfortable in scaling down this project is because this is not a pilot effort being carried out in Sindh or Punjab where the urgency is not a factor and we can take risks of starting off with 5 families, study results after an year and then expand. The biggest concern from EHD, which they have repeated again and again, is that these families are in dire need. 18K to make 20 families (and eventually the whole village) is not much at all ($75 to support a family of 5/10 per month). If this project satisfies our EQ redevelopment criterias then why delay this for another year.

Khurram, I suggest you give Shameela a phone call to discuss these issues verbally. I agree that this would be our biggest project and we should be very comfortable with EHD's execution and risks mitigation plans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: