Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Ace Employment Bureau

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: ACE Employment Bureau Reply with quote

ADPers,

We have received a proposal from ACE, an NGO focused on creating employment opps in NWFP. They were introduced to us by Netaid, a US donor organization that had called us for a reference on DIL. ACE is fairly large (see attached profile) and has previously received funding from UNICEF, NCHD, PAVHNA etc.

The current proposal is for 7 mths of funding ($2k) for an Employment Bureau. They've been responsive to some of our usual questions based on guidance from me. I know we're swamped with the concert right now, so I've promised them an initial set of questions in 3-4 weeks and a final response in 2-3 months.

Please post questions here for now, and we can hopefully take this up in a meeting soon after the concert.

Cheers,
Tarim

-------------------------
Name: Zubair Ambia
Telephone Number: 0300-9343438
E-Mail Address: ambia@brain.net.pk

How did you learn about ADP?: Through a friend

Comments:
Holly radice at Netaid

Name: Association for Creation of Employment
Telephone Number: 092-091-5700676
E-Mail Address: acepak@psh.paknet.com.pk
Address: off no: 203, 2nd floor, Block A,City Towers,University road, Peshawar, NWFP, Pakistan

Background (Include a brief introduction to the organization).:

Association for Creation of Employment (ACE) is an independent professional non-government organization working for poverty alleviation and development of Micro and small Enterprises and social awareness in NWFP.ACE was established in September 1997 and is registered with the Government under the Societies Act (1860). The organization is led by experienced professionals and comprises of dedicated, trained and experienced staff. The areas of expertise's of the organization are:

· Primary Education
· Human Resource Development
· Micro Credit
· Reproductive Health
· Enterprise Development

Since establishment, ACE has successfully undertaken various initiatives and projects on its own and also with the active support of donor agencies such as United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF), International Labour organization (ILO), Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC), Netaid Foundation USA and various others at different places in NWFP.

Presently the organization is operating in three districts i.e. Peshawar, Kohat and Hangu. The head office at Peshawar provides over all guidance and support to the regional offices. It supervises all the programmes execution and also executes innovative programmes for the development of the people.

Title: Employment Bureau
Funding Amount Requested: $2004
Deadline for Funding: it depends on ADP but we request to expidite your 2-3 months process

Summary (Include the nature and scope of the project):

In Pakistan, NWFP is one of the poorest provinces. Poverty is pervasive and deep, currently in the province 31 % of the urban and 47% of the rural population live below the poverty line far higher then the national average.

One of the major reasons for poverty is lack of opportunities and unemployment. Due to denationalisation many job seekers are pulled into an expanding informal sector - an often harsh and unstable environment, which acts as a "labour sponge" absorbing millions who cannot find better options elsewhere.

Creating jobs for job less is an uphill struggle in today's competitive environment and less predictable markets. On the other hand finding jobs are today the core struggle in the lives of hundreds of millions of people who are out of work or getting by in demeaning jobs to just meet their basic needs.

In our country it is widely recognized that beside illiterate people, there are lot of graduates that has certain dreams to overcome but they remains jobless for number of years. Because of unemployment literate and illiterate both are suffering and it creates anxiety, frustrations and anger among them, that may causes suicide, theft, and alliance with terrorist groups, use of drugs and creates law and order problems for the state. Beside this the young boys after completing their education are always in mental stress and are tortured by family members and other critics for being a burden on parents.

The situation for the girls is even more critical. In the province like NWFP girls cannot move freely from one office to another in search of jobs, there is a fear also that she may not get spoiled yet it is hard reality that many of the girls has to support their home for number of domestic problems.

Most of these unemployed people (male or female) belong to the lower class or middle class families. Visiting different office and dropping their credentials on one hand increases their expanses (travelling cost, photocopying, print out of CVs) while on other hand generates more frustration and de-motivation, as they have to wait long for response from any employer but still having uncertainty whether they will get the job or not.

The Proposed Project
Viewing the unemployment condition of our country and the problems that people faces while searching for the jobs, the organization propose to establish "An Employment Bureau" that provides a window to the needy people in terms of providing them jobs and also facilitates the employer. Under the budget limitations the project is proposed for 7 months.

Employment Bureau is a platform where both employee and employer gets benefit keeping in view that this activity is for the welfare and betterment of the disadvantage group in the society.

Significant Impact
It is very obvious that whenever an individual gets a job, it puts positive impact at his individual as well as family level. After getting the job one feel relief, as s/he get certain income by the end of the month through which his expenses can be met. It reduces their dependency; else they are able to support the family.

In case of married people getting job is just like getting blood, as they have to support the entire family. In case of young graduates it's the start of their carrier and ability to support themselves. In case of females they participate in supporting their family especially children, those who are unmarried not only support their parents but also reduces their burden by making their dowry on self-help basis. Overall the society gets developed when people are on job.

Type of people and how many
The organization is addressing the issue of lower or middle class families who is the most disadvantageous group. They are not influential nor can pay heavy bribe for getting the jobs. Yet they have to find their way for supporting their family and enhancing their living standard.

In a very short span of just 7 months the organization target to find employment for 50 persons.

Post Funding evaluation
The list having the names, email address and phone numbers of those who will get facilitated through the organization will be forwarded for confirmation and evaluation purposes.

Cost Effective way
It provides a platform through which jobseeker can be facilitated. The job seeker if they search for job by themselves they have to visit different offices day to day that not only cause expenses but also fatigue and frustration.

On the other hand since the organization has got a good name and reputation in the social sector, the people that are linked through the organization will be given more weight-age during the interviews and there will be more probability for their selection. Further more through this window the future of many people can be secured that otherwise may get indulge in spoiled activities.

The employment bureau is also cost effective in a way that through this one window operation the employee and employer both gets facilitated at a time. The employee gets the job, he do not need to search anywhere else while the employer instead of giving ads, attending phone calls, scrutiny CVs etc will get the employee just by making a phone call to the organization and informing the criteria of eligible candidate. So both get facilitated at minimum cost.

From organization point of view once it will facilitate any organization by providing them employees they will always call us whenever they need more employees, so a long term relation will be established that is also good for sustainability.

Long term Plan
Any of the projects that are initiated requires time for its sustainability. Unfortunately ADP is having lack of funds, it is only providing $2000 that will be effectively utilized for about 7 months. After the ADP funding ends, for the sustainability of the project the plan is as below:

· The organization will keep nominal fee for the registration of unemployed people.
· When any of the individual get employment through the organization and will receive his first month salary, he will be liable to give only 25% of his first month salary to the organization as the service charges. From the second month he will be entitled for full salary.
· The firm that appoint the people send by the organization will also pay Rs. 100 for each of the appointment as facilitation charges of the organization.
· The cost recovered through this manner will help in meeting the expense of places ads and administrative cost for successfully running this activity.
· So, the cycle will continue for the long time.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tarim! Did they send it through the website?

I'll go over the material this weekend, and post any questions... Is the Netaid relationship something we should be exploring?

~Justin
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did send it through the website, but the introduction was done over e-mail after I had a conversation with Netaid. Netaid had called us as a reference on DIL, who they were considering for a grant. It's a good sign that we're adding value to DIL beyond funding.

Also, I've been touch with Tauseef at DIL, and we should be getting another proposal next week. I think we're quickly reaching a stage when fundraising and growth, not project sourcing will be our major worry.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. You don't think there's any potential partnering or learning with Netaid? I don't know anything about them...

I agree completely about the critical path. The next challenge is fundraising. Most efforts are largely second to the concert right now, but will resume immediately afterwards with things like the phonathon, dinners, and project-specific fundraising...

I think the key is distinguishing our projects and objectives in our promotional efforts...

~Justin
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim, I was unable to download the file but it may be a Mac problem. It sounds like a really interesting project, which will have substantial social impact.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim,

Sorry it has taken three weeks to get back to this. I just reviewed the proposal. I think it it sounds like a great initiative. I have a few basic questions to begin with, some of which make me question whether it makes sense for ADP to take part in the effort as conceived.

1) Why is the service free? Since we are presumably talking about people who are 'employable,' and ACE's long-term vision involves becoming a fee-based service, why not just launch it as a small business, with setup costs covered by a small loan?

2) Is there a large population of 'employable unemployed' in the three districts? Are there sufficient job opportunities to justify the effort? Assuming the answer is 'yes' to both, I'm wondering how these positions are currently being filled.

3) What is the selection criteria for the 50 prospective employees who will benefit during the initial 7-month project? I assume we'll want to establish some threshold to ensure that the people served do not otherwise have the means to take part...

That's all for now. I just want to have a better picture of what's involved... I hope to have this on the agenda for Sunday's meeting. What are your thoughts on the proposal?

~Justin
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to our first set of questions from ACE. ADP Bay Area will discuss the project in our meeting today.

------------------
Dear Tarim Wasim
Greeting for the new year, hope you are in good health. I can very well understand the cause of delay, the disaster of Oct 8th 05 was the worst in the history of Pakistan and has left many grievances. At the organization level and being an individual each staff member has contributed its level best for the victims of the earthquake.

Yes, we are very much interested for initiating projects of education, rehabilitation, livehood, health care for earthquake effecties but tell us that whether the budget ceiling is the same $3000 or extended up to __?__ limit. It actually helps in designing the project.

The answers of your questions are as follows:
1) Why is the service free? Since we are presumably talking about people who are 'employable,' and ACE's long-term vision involves becoming a fee-based service, why not just launch it as a small business, with setup costs covered by a small loan?

Ans: Basically ACE is an NGO whose mission is to work for the welfare of the disadvantage people. No doubt that we are presumable taking about people who are employable but at the same time we are targeting those who are poor, having bad economic condition and are vulnerable for help.

Let me explain in a manner that there are categories of people in our society like Elite / high class, Upper middle class, middle class, lower middle class, lower class, lower lower class etc. Now as you know the conditions of our Country the people belonging upto upper middle class are resource full, they have influence and they can get the jobs easily but those who belongs to middle class and below are the vulnerable people.

In the middle and lower middle class the parents cuts down their budgets and try to educate their children as much as they can but since they have no influence or contacts they find very difficulty in getting respectable jobs. According to our daily life experience the people having master degree or retired from Govt jobs beg for providing some clerical job so that they can support their family. Female looks for the telephone operator, receptionist, computer operator etc post while male looks for sales boy, accountant, supervisor, dispatch /delivery officer etc positions and still find hard to get the job.

In the lower classes the situation is much worst, because of early marriages and having large family size these people are force to beg for covering their family expenses. Their education is hardly martic or intermediate and they search for the post of Driver, Guard, office boy, laborer etc. So the propensity of paying in this case is very low where as their number is very high.

If we take loan and initiate it as a small business our policy will be very strict in terms of charging fee and we might not entertain those who can not pay, but are vulnerable, as we will be under pressure of repay the loan, it is absolutely against humanity. Secondly it is against the mission of the organization as said in the beginning that we serve for the welfare of poor people. And most importantly we are not business running organization its against our agenda.

Our long term vision for becoming a fee base is in a way that till 7 or 8 months time our creditability would have been build up, the people (employee & employer) will themselves contact us and we will only charge for keeping this activity sustained. We will not be going for profits as it is a "Non Profit organization (NGO)", we will just cover the cost of the activity so as to keep it running and helping the vulnerable segment of our society.

2) Is there a large population of 'employable unemployed' in the three districts? Are there sufficient job opportunities to justify the effort? Assuming the answer is 'yes' to both, I'm wondering how these positions are currently being filled.

Ans: Broadly saying unemployment is one of the major problems of third world countries and so is of Pakistan. The population is higher, employable unemployed people are in large number but the job are scare. Among the jobs that are available in the market, all the unemployed people may not have access to these job, they might not be knowing about the opportunity in which he/she can very well fits in.

So the organization provides a plate form where people can get to know about jobs available at different places, relevant to their qualification / skills and selection is on merit. Thus this provides more chances / probability for getting job as compare to relaying on his own sources.

Currently these positions are filled by using personal contacts of employer or by placing ads in newspaper (poor people do not buy the newspaper) or sometimes person looking for jobs is lucky enough to visit office where the post is available.

3) What is the selection criteria for the 50 prospective employees who will benefit during the initial 7-month project? I assume we'll want to establish some threshold to ensure that the people served do not otherwise have the means to take part...

Ans: The section criteria depends upon the employers as he will be the main boss. The specification or eligibility criteria that he will tell the organization, the organization will find such person and will refer him for interview with employer.

At this stage the screening is done as the employer get the person according to his criteria, his selection further depends upon how well he has performed in interview.

The organization will maintain the record of the people who are served in order to avoid duplication.

Hope I have replied the queries but incase of any confusion please do ask, it will be my pleasure to clarify.

Regards

Zubair Ambia
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI... the California chapter discussed this project in our meeting this past Saturday and have decided to evaluate it. Atif Mumtaz and I will be tag-teaming as the Project Champions, and will post updates on this thread.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

Please ignore.

Last edited by Tarim Wasim on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: ACE Q&A Update Reply with quote

Folks,

Here are the responses from ACE to our latest set of questions. Atif and I will plan to give Zubair a call end of this week to get more color on each of these. Some questions that I had on my list are:

- Should ACE focus on just one of the levels rather than serve everyone?
- If parent org can pay rent/utilities eventually, why not start out that way?
- Examples of employer relationships and commitments

Please let either of us know if you have additional questions that you'd like us to ask on the call. I have tentatively communicated a deadline of March 31st to ACE for us to reach a decision, so let's make sure we get all our questions in now. Also, Atif has graciously agreed to do an ACE site visit when he visits Pakistan later this month, which should be excellent in getting us comfortable and tying out loose ends.

Best,
Tarim

1. Background Information
a) Location of bureau: Peshawar
b) Location of population to be served and employers: District Peshawar having population approximately 2.019 million (specific areas: Hayatabad Industrial estate, Canal road, University town, Saddar, Defense, City, Warsak road, Gulbahar)

c) Employee education level, type of job, expected salary range:

Basically there are three levels in which the employees can be classified.

Level 01
- Master degree holders / Bachelors degree holders / Experienced person that left the job because of some reasons
- The young graduates (male & female) look for organizations from where they can start and buildup their carrier while the experienced people look for job in order to support their families. Such jobs are of Teachers, Computer programmers, Chief accountants, Managers, Research officer, etc.
- A fair number of graduates pass outs each year but essentially all of them do no get the jobs. There are no. of cases in which young graduates remain unemployed for even more than an year
- Minimum Rs. 9,000 or 10,000 per month to Rs. 25,000 or as higher the employer can pay

Level 02
- From middle to F.Sc / F.A or Technical people
- These males and females look for administrative or clerical jobs. Like telephone operator, computer operator, receptionist, sales person, typist, machine operator, accountant, purchasing officer, record keeper, etc
- Majority of female fall under this category, as because of poverty they are not much educated but tries to earn bread & butter in respectable way
- Minimum Rs. 3500 per month to Rs. 8,000 or as higher the employer can pay

Level 03
- Uneducated or educated up to primary level
- They look for low profile jobs such as peon, guard, driver, cook, laborer, maid servants, etc Very poor people, comprise of mass majority,
- They do not have any influence / approach for getting job and live at the mercy of society
- Minimum Rs. 2000 per month to Rs. 3500 or as higher the employer can pay

2. Demand for the service from employers
a) Given the large number of unemployed people, why are employers interesting in using bureau? Shouldn’t it be easy for them to find candidates already?

Off course there are a large number of people that are unemployed but to find out exactly the one that the company requires is a matter of question that requires efforts. When the employer need particular type of person having certain skills, qualification, personality etc that person may or may not be available with them at that time. Thus if they do not use the services of bureau they then have to follow certain steps.

First of all the companies normally has to design the ad and secondly then place it in the new papers, or internally asked the employees if they no some body or use other resources. Thirdly they screen the CVs for sending interview calls. Fourth, they conduct the interviews and then finally select the person. This entire process requires lot of administrative time, cost, and efforts that otherwise can be saved.

The Employment Bureau on the other hand will provide pre screened staff to the employer for just conducting final interviews at their convenience time. The employment bureau will be having diverse sector of people waiting for job, the people that matches the requirements of the employer after screening will be send to the employer. This will save the employer cost, time and effort and will generate their interest for using the services of the bureau.

b) Do employers have any trouble currently filling vacancies?

In case of masses employers yes, because majority of business man wants to save their cost and reduce their pain as much as they can.

c) How many employers does ACE already have existing relationships with? How many have indicated an interest in the service? Have any committed to signing up?

Well ACE has existing relationship with about 15 to 20 employers and all of them have indicated their interest in using this service. Yes they are committed for signing up / using the services of the bureau.

e) What kinds of alternatives are available to the employers and employees right now? Are there private bureaus being run in the area?
The alternative for employer is to advertise in new papers and follow the method describe while answering 2 a). For employee or job seeker the alternative is to apply for advertised post or to visit office to office and drop his CV and wait for his luck.

There is only one bureau working in the same area but it is only providing trained security guards to the banks or other institutions. It is not working for other target groups.

3. Budget

a) Detailed initial start up expenses

1. 2x Tables = Rs. 6,000
2. 6x Chairs = Rs. 4,800
3. 1x Computer = 30,000
4. 1x Printer = 12,000
5. Stationery (folder, file covers, papers, stapler, punch machine etc) = Rs. 5,000

Total = Rs. 57,800

b) Detailed monthly expenses

1. Salaries: Rs. 6,000
2. Ads in new paper: Rs. 1,920
3. Traveling expense: Rs. 3,600
4. Utilities: Rs. 1,500
5. Stationery: Rs. 500
6. Rentals: Rs. 1,500

Total monthly expenses = Rs. 15,020

c) Expected 12 months income.

Assumption: provided 10 people get the job each month

2 person (level 1):
Salary: 9,000
25%: 2,250
Total ACE: 4,500

3 person (level 2)
Salary: 3,500
25%: 875
Total ACE: 2,625

5 person (level 3)
Salary: 2,000
25%: 500
Total ACE: 2,500

Total Expected Income: Rs. 9,625/mth

d) Post-funding plan.

The organization is requesting $3000 from ADP that adequately can serve up to 9 to 10 months after that the strategy will be as follows that substantially will reduce the cost and save from losses.

- As soon the project support will get over, this independent project will become the part of parent organization, as it will be merge in the organization program.
- When it will become the part of organization program there will be no utility cost nor will be any rental cost.
- By the end of project the linkages with numbers of employers will be far higher, the bureau will get popular, so both the employees and employer will contact themselves, thus the advertising budget will be reduced to 25%.
- Along with this, instead of having full project manager we will be appointing an officer on 25% less salary who just has to receive telephone calls and then contact employees in order to send them to employers, as at this stage the cycle will be running at its full swing.
- Moreover as the process continues, the contacts will grow, more people will be place on jobs, so income will also get increased.

Thus through these steps the organization will be able to equalize its expenses with income, perhaps might be income is more at some point.

4. How does ACE get comfortable that people will actually pay the fee once they find a job? Is it possible to have the employer promise to give the money directly to ACE, rather than collect it from the employee?

For this the organization will be doing the following:
- The employee will be briefed, about the charges of the organization in the beginning and when s/he gets the job, the employer will be briefed in front of employee for deducting the 25% employee’s salary and paying it to the organization.
- Since escape is possible, so the original National Identity Card will be held with the organization till his dues are cleared. It has been experience that people always contact for their ID cards and therefore they clarify their dues for getting it.

5. What kind of preparation work has been conducted? Has ACE chosen a location, talked to likely employers?

ACE is fully prepared for launching this project in order to provide a relief to the poor people through finding job for them. As an initial preparatory phase, as mentioned above that ACE has chosen the location of Peshawar for its implementation and specifically its office will be in University. We have discussed this project with number of people (employers) associated with various organization, all appreciated it and are of the view that it will provide ease to the employers.

While on the other hand job less people have already given us their CVs be considered as soon as the project is initiated. This shows that there is lot of demand at both sides.
Rana Uzair Nasim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read ACE's answers, I think we should go ahead and look to fund them. They've done quite a lot of research and seem to have enough contacts with potential employers to make the project feasible. However, I would definitely like to know why the parent organization can't just absorb certain costs right now, as Tarim pointed out.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim,

Great work in getting all of this together. SF has asked all of the right questions, and ACE has provided very detailed and thoughtful reponses. Very encouraging! I think you have posed the critical open questions:

- If parent org can pay rent/utilities eventually, why not start out that way?
- Examples of employer relationships and commitments

I'm not as concerned about whether they should focus on just one of the levels rather than serve everyone. I don't see any disadvantage to their broad approach and would be hesitant to ask them to scale back.

The only other questions I have in mind relate to credibility and references:

-How have you become comfortable with ACE as an org? Was the referral from Netaid also a strong endorsement? What do we know about their leadership?
-How are we measuring success in the nine month effort?

Hope that helps...

~Justin
adnan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the answers from EB, i think we must go ahead.
I have following comments on it.
1- There budget estimates look reasonable and very close to actual prices
2- They have mentioned salary levels of minimum 9000/- Rs, 3500/- Rs and 2000/- Rs per month for (master degree holder, FA/FSc level, matric or less respectively). These estimates are little bit higher than usual (in my opinion). Apparently it looks good as they are promising better jobs than usual but it may have some impact on estimated income (25% of first salary)
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Budget Reply with quote

Folks,

We discussed the project this Sat in our California meeting, and folks are generally in favor of going ahead. We will take a final vote after Atif visits ACE in the next couple of weeks, and if all goes well, will likely target funding by May 1st.

Attached is a spreadsheet with a set of milestones and financials that we are likley to propose to ACE. In particular, the key chages vs. their proposal are:

- Defer computer/printer purchase till after business breaks even, since paper records should suffice initially
- Reduce expenditure on travel and advertising
- Target smaller # of Level 1's (BSc/Msc) and at lower salaries
- Increase fee to 30% from 25% by getting 5% from employers
- Ramp up gradually to their target # of placements
- Convince ACE to pay rent/utilities from the very beginning (not currently in our budget, but we'll ask)

Please take a look and let me know if you have questions/thoughts. Atif and I will discuss with ACE in the next few days to get their thoughts.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Progress Update - 8/19/06 Reply with quote

Project progress report from Atif Mumtaz attached. Very promising start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Approved All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: