Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Internship Project: Nomad Children & Infectious Diseases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important update on the project.

I got a call yesterday from Dr Zafar yesterday and he informed me that an additional cost has come up for the project. This will be for providing tent shelters due to excessive hot weather, and sitting arrengement in the form of carpets ('darees') at the seminars. The cost of this will be approximately Rs 5000 per seminar.
For the first 2 seminars to be held tommorow, this cost is being covered by Dr Zafar, atleast for now. I will discuss whether we will need these additions for the later seminars as well.

What i want to know from you guys before i talk to him is whether we can/will cover for these costs even though they were not mentioned in the project proposal. Do let me know if there is any possibility of us covering these costs, which if applied to all 6 seminars will be about $500.

Sajjad
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on the prject.

the second session of seminars and vaccination took place last friday. from the 250 that were vaccinated last month approx 220 were vaccinated this time. hopefully we will be able to retain about 200 till the third and final installment in early march.

also, here are the additions to the budget.

The additional budget is as follows:
Tentage including chairs etc PKR 5,000 x 6 Seminars 30,000/-
Sound System PKR 3,000 x 6 Seminars 18,000/-
Total Extra Budget Required 48,000/-

so 48000 thats the equivelant of 800 bucks at 60rs/$.
if anyone has any objections, kindly bring them up here otherwise we can step ahead and make the additional payment.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sajjad,

That's great! Please send a long any photos or other documentation, so we can get some concrete updated on the website and newsletter...

It seems like we're losing a somewhat higher percentage of participants than was expected. Do you have any feedback from CRAC on why that would be?

I see no problem transferring the additional $. Are we sure this is the total? It will cost us nearly as much to do the transfer, so we should make sure we don't need to do it more than once.

Also, I e-mailed you last week about the internship program. Please reply when you can. We have a new member who is keen to participate or lead the effort, and would also like to be an intern next Summer!

Hope you are doing well!

~Justin
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sajjad Haider wrote:

The additional budget is as follows:
Tentage including chairs etc PKR 5,000 x 6 Seminars 30,000/-
Sound System PKR 3,000 x 6 Seminars 18,000/-
Total Extra Budget Required 48,000/-

Hi Sajjad,

Could you please clarify if the cost for the tentage referred to above is the same that was brought up in another post from you just before this one (just want to make sure that this is not in addition to to that)? Also it appears that the cost for Sound System was not accounted for earlier (forgive me if I missed it elsewhere and please just point me to it). If that is correct then this would be the second cost increase for this project after getting started which would be a cause of concern.

-adnan
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sajjad,

Hope you are doing well.

Could you also please give us a further breakdown of the costs for financial reporting purposes. the PKR 5000 is for how many chairs and how many tents per Seminar? It will help us track future costs in other projects when similar expenses are involved.

best,

Khurram
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,

theres quite a few pics that i got from the crac people. as well as videos of thier experience with ADP that we can use to introduce ADP's work to more people. ill post the usendit link as soon as i can upload the files.

as for the reduction in project participants, it was to some degree expected. what i gathered from the godh teacher and mobilizer at the vaccinations was that some of these kids had gone to a wedding somewhere nearby. but still the proportion was quite low. ill get the official number but it wasnt more than 15-20 people.

as for the budget addition, this is the final budget and i am quite positive there are no expenses left out. the sound system was not mentioned earlier. i should have mentioned in my earlier post that there were tentage 'and other costs'. but the tentage cost is the same as mentioned earlier. ill get the receipts for the expenses which will help clarify the number of seats required. godh was the one that arranged for it. their were approximately 100 or so seats plus a small stage for each seminar. hope that answers all you questions. let me know if theres anything else.

sajjad
Maham Daher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Internship Followup Reply with quote

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the email. As far as I know we need to follow up on documenting the feedback on the internship from both the interns and NGOs.

I had some thoughts on questions to pose to the interns that would help us in evaluating the internship and moving forward with it in the next session. It would be helpful if you could to add to these and also suggest some questions for the NGOs.

As for getting Amber involved, that sounds excellent. As she is a graduate student, it might make most sense to use her skills to organize/plan the internship rather than having her intern herself.

• What was the intern’s project? What day to day responsibilities did the project entail?
• What was the final work product that intern helped to prepare?
• Who were the main contacts/officers at the NGO that the intern worked closely with? (name, position at NGO, contact information)
• In what capacity did the intern work with these officers on a day to day basis?
• Did the intern learn from the experience? Add value to the NGO?
• What were strengths/weaknesses of the internship?
• If the intern was to once again work with the same or different NGO, what would he/she do differently (in terms of the internship project, roles/responsibilities, structure of the internship)?
• What learning/feedback would the intern like to pass onto future ADP interns working with the same NGO or other NGOs?
• Would the intern encourage future ADP interns to work with the same NGO?
• What opportunities do interns have at the NGO in terms of carving out their own independent project?
• What exposure/learning did the intern get regarding the overall operation of the NGO?
• Can the intern provide a brief profile of the NGO ?(e.g., size, locations, number of employees, sector/area of focus, target population, amount of funds available, source of funding, typical size/range of projects, 5 major projects in the last year, who is the NGO managed by, background/experience of officers, when was NGO founded)
• Did the intern get exposed to projects of the scale and type that ADP could potentially fund in the future? (Please provide examples of a few projects)

Hi Sajjad and Maham,

I hope you are both doing well. I’m writing for two reasons related to the Internship Program:

1) Follow-up for this year’s program and two interns
2) Planning for the future of the program

Regarding the follow-up, where do we stand r.e. measuring and documenting the results of the two completed internships? Have we requested any documentation from the interns, or feedback from the NGOs? Do you have any thoughts on the outcome, with respect to the initial goals?

Also, please let me know what kind of involvement you would like to have with continuing to develop the program. I recently met a woman (Amber) who is in Boston doing a grad program in NGO m ana gement(!), and is very interested in planning the next phase of the internship program. She is also interested in being an intern in Lahore next year!
Let me know where you stand with the work to date, and future plans, and let’s figure out what role Amber can play in the planning and strategy.

Best!

Justin
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd and final session of vaccinations and seminars was held on the 24th of March. It was originally scheduled for early march but due to unforeseen circumstances (strikes in lahore, president bush's visit) the session had to be delayed.

Despite the delay and expected reduction in attendance due to time interval between 2nd and 3rd session (5 months), the attendance was really good. We had a reduction in attendance of about 10-15% which was lower than expected. A final survey is to be done by Ahsen next week and i have to meet with Godh representatives and Pehchaan reps next week to discuss further possibilities of projects with them. Angbeen is helping in that regard with her resources.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sajjad,

Thanks for the update. And, thanks to all of you for the great work in seeing this through.

Do you have a date in mind for a final report on the project? We need to get in the practice of performing analysis immediately after implementation. This will be something we can use in our promotional materials and, of course, will be an important resource when making decisions about supporting future CRAC-PPA projects... We do not have a template for this kind of reporting, so let Omar and I know if you need some help coming up with an appropriate format.

~Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Approved All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: