Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Adp Newsletter: Few Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: ADP Newsletter: Few Questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just read the ADP newsletter and was wondering if someone could clarify a few concerns around some financial matters mentioned in the newsletter:

* I was quite surprised to read the following statement about the Salman Ahmad concert that was organized last year by ADP: "ADP Boston organized the event, with all proceeds going towards our development projects." As an officer and an involved member of ADP at the time, I clearly remember that ADP incurred a financial and material loss due to the concert. Just the direct financial loss was bigger than what could be compensated by the sale of all the remaining Salman Ahmad CDs (that is, if they are ever sold). Could someone please explain how the fact that donation money meant for development projects in Pakistan was used to subsidize the concert got converted into the statement "proceeds going towards our development projects"?

* The newsletter also implied that the $263,000 of the donation money that was collected by ADP for the Edhi Foundation soon after the earthquake happened was actually used for earthquake relief by the Edhi foundation. Correct me if I am wrong but both my memory and the transfer receipts for the funds tell me that the money was transferred into an Edhi bank account meant for general donations, not a fund specifically meant for earthquake relief and ADP had received no commitment or even a suggestion from the Edhi Foundation that money donated to them via ADP would preferentially be used for earthquake relief.

* Also please clarify which ADP volunteer had "spoken to Mr. Abdul-Sattar Edhi himself", if ADP came up during the conversation and what Mr. Edhi said if anything about ADP.

Thanks,
-adnan
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Adnan,

Thank you for your questions. I appreciate your concerns, and have responded to each of them below. We take our responsibility towards donors and project beneficiaries very seriously, and I hope that the responses will demonstrate the level of transparency and accountability that ADP espouses.

1) Use of Edhi Fund Donations

ADP sent confirmation letters to Edhi's NY office after our wire transfers to the organization, which specifically indicated that the proceeds were meant for earthquake relief. This, to the best of our knowledge, is the most we could have done. Edhi Foundation did not create a specific fund for earthquake relief, and we thus did not have the option of directing funds to a separate account. I would hope that you derive comfort from the fact that Edhi Foundation received millions of dollars after the earthquake because it is widely trusted, and was and continues to be at the forefront of earthquake relief efforts. Although we cannot guarantee that every dime sent will be used eclusively for earthquake victims, our intent was clear, the success of Edhi's efforts is widely recognized, the integrity of the organization is not in question, and the needs in the region far exceed the amount contributed by ADP and other donors.

2) ADP's Contacts with Edhi

The name of our volunteer who spoke with Mr. Abdul Sattar Edhi after the earthquake is Mr. Wasim Ahmad. He specifically mentioned ADP's plan to raise money for Edhi during his conversation and asked for details on relief plans. Also, we remained in close touch with Mr. Shabbir Chaudhry in Edhi's NY office in the weeks that followed. We provided regular updates on our fundraising, and sent confirmations of wires that were sent to Edhi's bank account in Pakistan. Feel free to contact him at (718) 639-5120.

3) Proceeds from the Salman Ahmed concert

The proceeds from this event were certainly intended for ADP projects. However, you are correct that the event was not profitable, and thus, the Dastak statement is incorrect. This was an oversight on our part, for which I take full responsibility.

I would like to provide some additional context around this event, since I believe it is relevant to the broader issue you have raised:

- The total loss borne by ADP was $290. We still have 40 Infiniti CDs that we continue to sell, and thus the final deficit will certainly be even lower. In the end, I anticipate their will actually be a small profit which will of course be used in accordance with our mission.

- We received several indirect benefits from the concert, which I believe should be weighed in the final analysis of the event:

i. The concert laid the foundation for a relationship with Mr. Salman Ahmad. His endorsement on our website lends considerable credibility to the organization, and was instrumental in helping ADP raise over $463,000 after the earthquake.

ii. New volunteers were introduced to ADP at the concert and through our promotional efforts and subsequently joined the organization.

iii. A journalist from the Boston Globe, present at the event, later published a prominent cover story in this prestigious and widely-read newspaper which gave ADP tremendous exposure.

- Like most major decisions at ADP, the concert was planned after rigorous debate amongst ADP members. The challenge with fundraising events like these is often that costs are locked in before knowing the final proceeds. Our members had collectively decided that the estimated expenses and Mr. Salman Ahmad's broad appeal created a low likelihood of a loss.

That said, I feel it is important to recognize that this was the first event of its kind organized by ADP. While it is very disappointing that the event did not generate the funds we had hoped, you will remember that a comprehensive list of 'lessons learned' was generated after the event, which will enable ADP to me much more effective should we take on another event of this kind in the future. I am also confident that the concert and our relationship with Salman Ahmad will continue to pay dividends for those in need well into the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly at jstone@DevelopPakistan.org if you have any further questions.

Regards!

Justin Stone
President
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> General All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: